Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

competitions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham23/10/2008 20:06:00
7637 forum posts
159 photos
  • Paul. Last suggestion is a good idea. I am full of ideas, workable or not!  However, I am computer ilitarite when it comes to cadding or turbo cadding or wotnot. Would scanned copies of drawings be ok, and how much detail would/might be expected. A further stage might be to submit pictures of your design as realised by a (for instance) card model..nothing fancy, just to give the drawings substance. Corrugated card/hot glue/scissors, that sort of thing. As a "designer" of oddities, I find its easy to get your picture and make a theoretical drawing of what might be a working model (as I suppose that would be one of the criteria, the design would have to be able to be practically realised) but its another thing when you start to work on access, replacement of engines/parts, placement of batteries etc for balance , ? or wot.  Ashley 
Paul T23/10/2008 20:34:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Ashley

Not many people are skilled in CAD drawing and to be honest I wouldn't expect many entries on CAD I assumed that most entries would traditionally hand drawn. So scanned copies of hand drawn designs would be very acceptable and if supported with photos of the model being constructed then so much the better.

the designs can be as detailed or as basic as you like but obviously a higher level of detail would impress our esteemed judge and thinking of practicalities like replacing parts and batteries can only stand in your favour.

So what do you think would you take part in such an enterprise?

Paul

the converter24/10/2008 16:26:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi all

it seems that some have got the wrong idea about my idea basicly it is simply a design comp were members submit there drawings and description about the plans on the site were members can vote for there favourite to wittle them down to the last three then the judge then can pick the winner.if the members wants to build there model they can and include photos if they wish.no cost to the members so all members can take part regardless of how many moths in there wallet/purse and if the powers that be agree i think a 1yr subscribtion to mag or winning plan published in the mag would be a good prize for all

regards ron 

Len Ochiltree24/10/2008 17:31:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Phew, I bet Vinnie has had to lay down in a dark room after seeing the suggestion of a "FREE" years subscription to Model Boat Magazine.

Where is the young wippersnapper I hope he is not poorly.

Len the concerned. 

Len Ochiltree24/10/2008 17:36:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Another idea for a comp is what about a Cartoon competition there are lots of wicked people on the forum with wicked sense of humour.

Len, mine are unprintable,I will have to have another think.  

Paul T25/10/2008 07:11:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Good Morning Len

You are full of ideas for different and novel designs and would stand an excellent chance in this competition.

Everyone should bear in mind that the designs don't have to be technically perfect nor accurate to +/- 001mm as the concept of a new and radical design or the thoughtful and intelligent addition to an existing craft is just as important.

I presume that Vinnie is on holiday as he hasn't responded to anything over the past few days.(and why not everyone deserves a break...even Vinnie)

Paul

the converter25/10/2008 09:35:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

morning all

thats not a bad idea len maybe we could have a cartoon comp with a prize of a regular spot in the mag to replace the cartoon strip that we had back in the 80's .

but my youngest gave me another idea (after i did all the leg work for him for his amphicar)i managed to get some plans of the army version that looks like a van.my son just looked at the plans and said "it's the mystery machine van from scooby doo".so you could combine the two ideas and do a theme boat design from TV programs or film even.

so many ways you could go with this comp.

BUT BE WARNED we all may end up with egg on our face when the younger  generation show us all up.but that is the fun of it all .

ron     

ashley needham25/10/2008 09:37:00
7637 forum posts
159 photos

Doesnt Vinnie have  a laptop with mobile broadband yet then...eh ????

I am afraid I dont build fishing boats or tugs so wouldnt stand a chance in this competition, (assuming the judges were "the poeple") however radical a craft I thought up !  

What timespan are we talking of here?       Ashley

the converter25/10/2008 09:46:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi ashley

were looking at around 6 months so if taken up by the mag then can be done over the winter months plus gives time for the beginner to get involved

ron

Colin Bishop28/10/2008 09:45:00
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Just a thought, but a crucial element in the setting up of any competition is establishing the judging rules. believe me, this is NOT easy! Somebody is bound to come up with something you haven't thought of which may give them what others consider to be an unfair advantage.

This is a widely based forum geographically so if the idea is to build something then you won't have the option of lining up the models on a table and I reckon it would be impossible to judge from submitted photos.

That's why the idea of a photographic competition may be a better option as it puts everyone on an equal basis. At the recent Society of Model Shipwrights exhibition they had a board with photos of members models and visitors were invited to vote which one looked most like a real ship/vessel. Quite a good idea I thought and a great pleasure to see the pics.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor