competitions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T22/10/2008 19:32:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Ron

I agree that not all of us have engineering or technical backgrounds nor do we all have access to computer design programmes and that having these things would give some members an unfair advantage in a pure new design competition.

So it looks like you have come up with the perfect competition and the various categories that people can enter so all that you need to do is formalise the conditions and rules.

Its a little disappointing that some other members haven’t registered their thoughts on this subject as I am sure that likes of Bob, Ashley, Ken and Len would have something to say on the matter.

Over to you again Ron to come up with the draft outline of terms & conditions and then let's see if we can make this idea fly.

Paul

Paul T23/10/2008 08:14:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Good Morning Ron

I shall start the ball rolling with a plan view of a small barrel back speedboat that I am drawing up plans for to build next spring.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1859/barrel_back.JPG

The boat will be 1m long and built out of 6mm ply frames with a mahogany veneer over a 2mm ply skin. Powered by a 600 size motor and operating on a 2 channel system.

When completed it will have 8 coats of spray lacquer to give a deep shine.

Paul

Bob Abell23/10/2008 08:32:00
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Hello Chaps

Count me out on this competition subject...................I`m far too busy with my latest project at the moment..................sorry..............I am not availabell

But I will keep looking in!

Bob the Builder again

Paul T23/10/2008 08:38:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Morning Bob

Glad that your building again and I am looking forward to coming to see both versions side by side in the water.

Appreciate that your busy with your call up papers but perhaps you might volunteer your knowledge and experience as a judge?

Paul
Bob Abell23/10/2008 08:53:00
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Good morning Paul and friends

I don`t mind assisting when required......................I`m always here watching and snooping...every 1/2 hour

At the moment I`m cutting out the formers and checking them all.......quite a chore

Bizzy Bob

Bob Abell23/10/2008 10:09:00
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Where`s that Vinnie these days?..........anybody seen him?

You people out there!..................Check your garages.....skips......etc.........He could be anywhere!

He should be involved at this early stage and a word from the mag possibly?

BOB in the wings

the converter23/10/2008 14:49:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi paul

will draw up the idea and terms / conditions over the weekend due to work commitments and will email them to you to go over  so we can iron out any little problems before posted on site.(plus this will give the weekenders time to catch up on whats been happening and hopefully join in on the discussion) like the plan you have drawn up would be nice to see on the water when finished.have a few ideas of my own but nothing on paper as yet .

cheers ron

Len Ochiltree23/10/2008 17:31:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Hi Guys,

Everyone thinks its a good idea until its time to start putting their hand in the pocket and start making said boat,and you start off with a rubber band motor and then someone goes and puts a Brushless one in theirs!.

Whats wrong with all making one of Ashleys designs,either the float plane or hovercraft ?.

What more experienced modelers with a shed full of motors/servos/Esc's/batterys/glues/timber/etc forget is the cost of starting out into modeling ( No more about Twiggy ).

I am not having a rant just a few observations to chuck in the pot.

Len.

Tony Hadley23/10/2008 18:06:00
914 forum posts
559 photos

Len,

That was why I suggested a photographic competition. Sections could be for full sized craft, junior members + others. If it was kept to the online section, more readers might consider subscribing.

It is ok to have ideas but when it comes to 'put your hands in your pockets' things don't seem to happen. Whereas I think the majority of us have camera. 

Just a thought, Tony.

Paul T23/10/2008 19:06:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Len

Having a design competition doesn't necessarily mean that you have to build the model all the competitors will have to do is submit a design, either an original or an addition / alteration to an existing design.

This way people don't have to expend huge ammounts of cash just spend time doing some drawings.

So what do you think now Len?

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor