Forum sponsored by Dremel

competitions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
the converter19/10/2008 12:22:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi all and powers that be

i don't know if this has been done in the past but how about doing build competitions say once a year.

you could set like a price limit on how much you are allowed to spend and possibly a time limit as well .you could have different catagories of boats open to the novice and expert builder a like.

then they could be posted on the web site for members to vote on the best and the winners get a prize and possibley published in the mag?

i think this would get the whole communitty bussing and talking with each other more .

what do you think

Tony Hadley19/10/2008 13:16:00
892 forum posts
533 photos

I think a photographic competition would be a better option. Might get me out more! Results could be printed in the magazine.

Tony

the converter20/10/2008 14:14:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi tony

you could be write, but there are many ways this could be done you could even have say a comp for the best boat made from recycled material for instance or you could say that a certain item had to be used to make the model like a milk carton for instance.

be good for laugh and get the old brain matter working harder.

Paul T21/10/2008 07:20:00
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles

I like the idea of some kind of competition, we already have a gallery section so a photo competition would be very easy to set up as all you would need is a judge.

Making boats out of milk cartons has been done before with limited success as Len will confirm.

How about designing a boat...the competition could have different classes such as warship, sail, speed, cargo, tug, sub. and the winning design could be published along with a photo editorial detailing a stage by stage build.

Paul

the converter21/10/2008 13:45:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi paul

great idea like a say there is so many ways this could be done with very little cost to the mag and i think that they could offer a years subscribtion as a prize or even plans ect... of the winners choice from hobbystore.

also  you could cater for the younger modelers out there  with maybe a kit as a prize.

i think for the judge it could be down to the members to say vote on line to get them down to the last three then publish them in the mag and the editor pics the winner or vise versa . 

ron  

Paul T21/10/2008 14:12:00
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles

Hi Ron

I'm glad that you like the idea now all that you have to do is convince the rest of the members and above all our web master, I would give you his name but I can't quite recall it, I shall have to look a long way back through the postings to try and remember who he is!!

Whilst I try and discover who and where our web master is perhaps you could sketch out some basic rules and conditions.

Paul

the converter21/10/2008 16:10:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi paul

i just think this could do a lot for this mag and the web site make it bigger and better after all its here for us , so its down to us members to make it what it deserves to be.

so come on members if you like the idea post your comments on here and let the powers that be know it.

regards 

ron  

Ian Kennedy21/10/2008 21:07:00
32 forum posts

Excellent idea, but does it have to be a non original plan design ie; something you invent design wise or can it just be anything that floats and works?

Regards

Ian

Paul T22/10/2008 06:36:00
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles

Hi Ian

Perhaps Rons competition could be split into 2 distinct sections, one of original design and one of variations to existing designs before being sub divided into different classes of warship, cargo, sail etc

What do you think Ron?

Paul
the converter22/10/2008 16:34:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi paul

not a bad idea but myself if going to do a design compo i would aim more for something not done before but not all of us have engineering background and come can up with these ideas so yes there should be sections to cater for this and for the new and next generation of builder either from scratch build or kit  and from static to r/c,a competition open to all areas  of all generations.

regards

ron  

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor