Machine Tools

Discussion of use and sourcing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 615/09/2020 20:05:20
179 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Tim and Ray

Thanks for the warnings and comments. I should reiterate that the present set-up is just to see me through until I can find a lathe and a proper mill...

Some light grinding this afternoon on a piece of brass allowed working to about 5 thou" (hard to be exact without a DTI or digital calipers) - this with a rotary grinding wheel and brass work piece in the X-Y table.

There was some tool chatter, and so, I stop and check the chuck at regular intervals. Also, I let the Cub cool down in between runs, so, no need to report me to the RSPCA just yet Ray !

Incidentally, my local 'CNC' machine shop (who can work to 6 microns, so they say) charges £65 /hour. So, you don't actually have to do all that many hours to clock up the price of a good lathe.

Dave

Dave Cooper 622/10/2020 23:48:11
179 forum posts
16 photos

Some parts I need to machine :-

1. T45 tube 60.3mm with the i/d turned to about 52mm

2. EN14 bar 55mm with the o/d an interference fit in 1. above and bored to take deep-groove bearings with tolerance 0 to -0.01mm

3. 300M bar - diamond (or similar) tipped tooling required ?

Hardly model boat stuff but relevant for lathe /chuck sizes that I need to buy soon. The lathe will also be used for model boat /engineering as well. Any guidance on chucks, faceplates, mandrels etc will be helpful...

Ray, (and other engineers) are you there ?

Dave

David Marks 123/10/2020 11:04:49
247 forum posts
44 photos

Regarding the tube, what is the critical dimension, the outside or inside diameter? I used to turn copper tube for a bloke that made hot air engines which requires the tube to have a thin wall thickness. The way around that one was to find a tube with the correct i/d and after mounting on a mandrel turn down the o/d to the correct size. It also overcame the problem that you find with most tube i.e. the i/d and o/d are not concentric.

Dave Cooper 623/10/2020 17:29:52
179 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks for the reply David.

For the T45 tube, the 'critical' dimension is the i/d. It's actually 5mm wall as supplied from the stockholders. Inside this will be the EN14 (for the bearing registers), so I have a bit of wiggle room there.

The question is really relating to the capability of the mini-lathe type chuck's capacity. I have a feeling I will have to buy the next size up of lathe though to be able to machine this lot. Ideally, I'd like to stay with a bench-size model as workshop space is tight..

Good point about the tube o/d and i/d not being concentric - I hadn't thought of that ! Currently, I'm leaning toward the "Warco" range (on the recommendation of a friend), so will try to get some info' on mandrels etc. from their tech support desk.

Regards,

Dave

neil howard-pritchard24/10/2020 01:27:15
1521 forum posts
871 photos

I BOUGHT THIS TOOL some years ago when I saw it on one of these drop value auction sites, and got it for around 70 quid with all the additional tools.

I wanted to use it for fitting a bathroom door and stud wall in my house, but using one of the diamond encrusted heads, I can cut through, shape, grind or virtually any type of shaping on my models.

I don't use it often, but when needed, it is a multi tool that can do a lot of jobs that the bigger tools are limited at...…….and if I link it to my lathe, I can get amazingly intricate shapes.

I wouldn't be without it.

a superb tool.

https://www.worx-uk.com/sonicrafter-oscillation-multi-tools/

Ray Wood 224/10/2020 07:22:48
2089 forum posts
736 photos

Hi Dave,

Maybe have a look at Model Engineer classified ads, there are quite a selection at the moment, you would never regret buying a Myford, but Warco's are fine. The Clarke's lathe/mill/drills are versatile.

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 624/10/2020 11:37:04
179 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Both

Neil : That tool looks very useful indeed - I'll look out for one. I bet you need a good pair of protective gloves just in case...

Ray : Yes, a Myford would be great. I don't have space for a free-standing one, but, a bench model could work if they do one. I'll do a bit more research on the Warco's and Clarke's as well.

Shame we can't get to shows and auction houses at present to gauge wear etc on used equipment....roll on the C19 vaccine !

Regards, Dave

neil howard-pritchard24/10/2020 13:39:17
1521 forum posts
871 photos
Posted by Dave Cooper 6 on 24/10/2020 11:37:04:

Hi Both

Neil : That tool looks very useful indeed - I'll look out for one. I bet you need a good pair of protective gloves just in case...

Regards, Dave

not at all Dave.…….it is as docile as a normal sander...heavy, well built, powerful but is so easy to use my daughter who does a bit of resto woodwork when home from uni, finds it a delight to use.....because it is sonic it vibrates rather than cuts in a circular motion like ordinary sanders, and in doing so, if your skin gets in the way, it just vibrates the skin, not cutting it...…..

I really do recommend them...…..you can buy cheaper sonic tools similar, and not as heavy, but this came with a load of extra tools when I bought it...so there was no argument. i bought it.

Dave Cooper 626/10/2020 10:51:28
179 forum posts
16 photos

Sounds great Neil - I'll certainly look out for one.

Dave

Dave Cooper 630/10/2020 10:42:29
179 forum posts
16 photos
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 24/10/2020 07:22:48:

Hi Dave,

Maybe have a look at Model Engineer classified ads, there are quite a selection at the moment, you would never regret buying a Myford, but Warco's are fine. The Clarke's lathe/mill/drills are versatile.

Regards Ray

Ray

Just sent you a pm (thanks for any help !)

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor