Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Ship Repair

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gummo Marx20/08/2020 11:31:27
2 forum posts
2 photos

Help! My sister-in-law has placed unfounded faith in my ability to fix the masts on this model ship - something I've never remotely looked at, never mind touched.

Anyone know where I can get replacement masts? I've hunted on the Net till I'm blue in the face.

The ship's marked as a 'Trois Mats Barque'.

img_20200820_111346.jpg

img_20200820_111415.jpg

Roger Clark20/08/2020 11:45:02
250 forum posts
88 photos

Trois Mats Barque is just a generic name for that type of ship so finding an exact replacement woudl be near impossible.

You could drill the 2 broken parts and insert a loose metal peg with plenty of epoxy type glue and hold it in position until the glue sets and you should have an invisible joint. Otherwise you would need to buy a length of dowel and fashion to size.

Other than that put some holes in the sails and hull and say it's been in battle devil

Regards

Roger

Fred wooley20/08/2020 12:41:08
15 forum posts

Go to a Diy shop and buy some dowel,as Roger has said you wont buy them BUT you can MAKE them so easily.....get the length you require and put one end in a drill and clamp drill to bench and use some coarse sand paper and taper it down carefully,use some wood stain to colour

Fred

ashley needham20/08/2020 13:36:21
6833 forum posts
200 photos

Not an invisible repair, but you could sleeve the break with thin-wall brass tubing and epoxy/paint to match.

It may be that you will have difficulty in removing the mast if you wanted to replace the whole thing.

Ashley

Colin Bishop20/08/2020 14:22:38
4708 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

I think Roger's suggestion of glueing and pinning the existing mast back together would be simplest, superglue might do the job well enough.

Otherwise, for replacement, a cheap and cheerful solution is to buy an inexpensive set of artists brushes, something like this from The Works for example:

**LINK**

They are already tapered and varnished and you can often find one the right size.

Colin

Malcolm Frary20/08/2020 22:38:35
918 forum posts

As Roger suggests, a slightly oversize hole up each part and an internal splint epoxied in place. Since it is decorative rather than working, a piece of toothpick rather than a metal peg would do.

If it wasn't so prominent, a bit of clear heatshrink might do the job, possibly forming a  sleeve over Colin's superglue butt join.  If the ends are jaggy enough, the butt join could well be enough by itself.

Edited By Malcolm Frary on 20/08/2020 22:44:34

Gummo Marx21/08/2020 10:14:34
2 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks very much for your inspring solutions - I went down the dowel route, couldn't wait for an online purchase to arrive so I took the horizontal off a wooden clothes-hanger. I sanded it for ages down to the correct diameter - it worked like a dream (after using three different wood dyes. smiley

Malcolm Frary21/08/2020 19:21:54
918 forum posts

Some shops sell mast and spar replacement parts but they mis-label them as "chopsticks" or "kebab skewers".

I expect they think that the exotic eating market is bigger than that for model boat parts.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor