By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Boat?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Lewis 416/08/2020 16:55:33
2 forum posts

Hi all, well I've just signed up. I'm looking at getting into model boat buidling. Used to build tanks in my younger days and having found model boats on internet by accident whilst googling thought I might give it a try. Anyone recommend a good starter boat?

Cheers Richard

Chris E16/08/2020 17:59:36
173 forum posts

Sailing boat, submarine, merchantman, military, tug, fishing boat, lifeboat etc etc

What interests you?

How large a model?

ashley needham16/08/2020 18:40:33
6852 forum posts
201 photos

Richard. Welcome to the forum.

How about starting with something really easy, and to boot you can put one of your tanks in it!!

It can be scaled up from 1/32 to fit anything really.

Ashley

lcm3 001.jpg

Ray Wood 216/08/2020 20:34:04
2178 forum posts
761 photos

Hi Richard,

There are plenty of wooden boat kits on the SLEC range, which you can build the whole boat, or many quite expensive kits where the hull is moulded and you build the top with fittings etc or you can buy a plan from the Sarik range, the world's you oyster 😉👍⛵

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop16/08/2020 20:42:07
4711 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

Richard, you really do need to give us some idea of what sort of boat you are looking for, size, type etc. as mentioned above. We are not mind readers!

Colin

Malcolm Frary17/08/2020 09:21:19
921 forum posts

Ever since it appeared a long time ago, the 1:72 Revell Snowberry corvette has been a good starter, especially for those with some previous modelling skill. Mostly just a bunch of new words to learn.

Fairly easy conversion to radio, big enough to get both hands in, small enough to carry to the pond, enough performance to look good, low enough performance to be forgiving.

Charles Oates17/08/2020 10:06:18
594 forum posts
50 photos

Malcolm makes a very good point, if a warship appeals, it's difficult to beat. My son bought me this kit some years ago, and although I've been scratch building all my life, I really enjoyed building it. It's also huge fun to sail, one of my favourites.

Plus, you can add extras, smoke, swiveling guns, sound, etc. Plus, there are upgrade kits available to improve the model later on. Plus, a cheap 385 motor and simple nimh or gel cell battery will make it go. Plus, there are lots of online videos on converting the kit to radio control.

It's worth considering.

Chas

Dave Cooper 617/08/2020 14:43:46
206 forum posts
18 photos

Hello Richard,

Some very good, practical advice from the others.

I think there are quite a few considerations as well - building space, tools (including machine tools), timescale, budget (?), not to mention distance from sailing water (assuming a working model).

Probably, at the top of my list would be 'inspiration'. This will help carry you through the difficult bits to arrive at a finished model. Have a look at plastic kits (huge variety these days) and Youtube videos. Also, visit the different manufacturers' websites eg Model Shipyard, SLEC etc, and, look at the 'Albums' on this forum to give you an idea of what can be achieved.

Tons of help here once you're a little further down the road...

Dave C

Tim Cooper17/08/2020 19:57:37
388 forum posts
171 photos

Richard

Have a look at the Eezebilt boat website. The are a number of simple plans to download and print on a home printer or you could scale one up to make a bigger boat. You can add extra detail if you wish. They are based on the balsa kits we used to build in the 60's.

Tim

Picture of an enlarged PT Boat I built.

PT Boat 1

Edited By Tim Cooper on 17/08/2020 19:58:24

Edited By Tim Cooper on 17/08/2020 19:59:21

Richard Lewis 418/08/2020 21:38:29
2 forum posts

Its more the wooden kit built boats that you build I am looking at. Nothing too big to start of with. Something with not too many sails. That's whats scaring me the most I think.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor