All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy F17/08/2020 16:43:49
54 forum posts
75 photos

So given the facts that:

a) I'm not flying a plane and

b) I don't want to go brushless,

I've decided to stick with the original suggestion of 2x Speed 600's. It's only 40 quid so what the hell.

Also, I'm taken with Charles' suggestion of going back to what it was (more or less) with a few cosmetic alterations.

Does anyone have a copy of plans for the Sea Commander superstructure they could let me have or borrow?

ashley needham19/08/2020 07:50:14
6755 forum posts
198 photos

Sensible decision Andy, they may not be the optimum, but they will be adequate. You can always do a straight swap upgrade later if the mood takes you.

Ashley

harry smith 126/09/2020 05:46:43
1040 forum posts
1215 photos

HI Andy

I have a PDF copy of the Aerokits plan which I can send you.

Message your email address.

Harry Smith

Andy F26/09/2020 13:28:16
54 forum posts
75 photos

Thanks for the kind offer Harry but I'm way past that stage now, I decided to let my imagination loose and see what I came up with.

This is Pecola* as she stands at the moment. I tried the 600 motors but they (and the wiring) were getting way too hot for my liking so I replaced them with a pair of 385's and everything's good now.

20200926_1.jpg

As you can see, the boat has a fully detailed 3 cabin interior with working lights (so that all that work can actually be seen)...

20200926_2.jpg

...and the skeleton of a small jolly boat at the stern. That's what I'm currently working on.

20200926_3.jpg

I still have lots to do on her but so far I think she's looking good. Eventually the hull will be painted a nice rich gloss blue with a white waterline and red oxide below that. I also intend to put a large white swimming penguin logo on the bow.

The build/renovation has been a bit of a PIA because I originally built this boat nearly 40 years ago when I was young and stupid so consequently nothing is really where it should be. The motors for example have had to be mounted at an angle relative to the width of the boat because the prop shafts were mounted wrong in the first place and I didn't want to start messing about with them because they work fine. It looks OK now, just don't look too closely insidecrook

* Pecola:

Pecola is a Japanese kids TV programme about a small animated penguin with a square head. I've named my boat Pecola as an homage to my works supervisor. He walks around like a demented penguin most of the time and he's a real PIA too so it kinda fits.

Thanks for looking.

Andy F03/10/2020 17:30:20
54 forum posts
75 photos

So. A bit more done and several disasters with paint. I know now that certain paints cannot be laquered and certain laquers cannot be painted. Three separate rubdowns to bare wood taught me this. Still, the gorgeous blue is now done and I can look forward to doing the waterline and beneath. That should be funcrook

Pics so far.

20201003_1.jpg

20201003_2.jpg

20201003_3.jpg

The gorgeous Ellie and her sun loungers

20201003_4.jpg

... and the interior lights

20201003_5.jpg

Roughly 40 years in the making and not there yet. Is this a record?

Noel23/11/2020 14:22:54
237 forum posts
65 photos

I think this looks fantastic and has created a very unique and dramatic vessel.

Surprised to hear the 600s got too hot, I wonder what prop they have, nothing too big I hope but if its OK now on 385s then no bother!

ashley needham23/11/2020 15:20:35
6755 forum posts
198 photos

Very nice Andy, great colour hull.

My “go-to” motors are the MFA 540/1 low power ones. On 7.2 v they produce much more power than a385 (which I think is probably a bit weedy for you boat) andare guaranteed not to get hot on s35 or40mm two blade props.

Will even take a 3s Lipo as they go up to 15v.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 23/11/2020 15:21:34

The Long Build23/11/2020 19:03:45
701 forum posts
270 photos

I really like that, it is one great looking Super Yacht.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor