Forum sponsored by Dremel

Precautions during this hot spell

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T13/08/2020 15:50:20
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

With many workshops being like ovens we should all be careful with pressurised containers and storage of nitro fuel.

Pressurised containers don't like excessive heat and tend to go bang when they overheat, those nice rattle cans from Halfords have the potential to be a very effective hand grenade look at this example of when a small can explodes in a car link

How many of you have got paint, WD 40 or laquer cans in your workarea and would your workshop / house survive?

Paul

ashley needham13/08/2020 16:17:10
6755 forum posts
198 photos

Good point Paul.i might get a tin to put my explosives in for the garage.

All my rattle cans are in ‘t shed and that remainscool(ish) in this heat.

Ashley

Colin Bishop13/08/2020 16:51:48
4592 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles

Sensible advice. In my case the workshop hasn't exceeded 90F and the garage, where all the rattle cans are is a good 10 degrees cooler.

A car can get a heck of a lot hotter than that in blazing sunshine.

Colin

PS - Just had a look at a Halfords rattle can and they say do not heat beyond 122F.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 13/08/2020 16:54:51

Paul T13/08/2020 17:09:57
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

A few members have workshops upstairs in attics or dormer bedrooms and just like a felt roofed shed these areas absorb heat and quickly become ovens.

Slight damage to a spray can will reduce its ability to contain pressurised contents by 30%, how many dented pressurised containers are in your workshops?

In my work life I have been called in as a professional witness to a fatal incident where a can of air freshener exploded and took out the front room of a house. It blew the window and front door a clear 20m across the front garden.

Sadly the occupant was in the room at the time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor