Forum sponsored by Dremel

A decent kit for a beginner

Model slipway

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Moore 311/08/2020 16:50:10
2 forum posts

Hi everyone

I'm looking at a different build to my usual modelling. I usually build etched brass 0 gauge steam engines so I'm not a beginner to modelling but totally new to ships.

I've been looking at model slipway ships & wondered if anyone could recommend a decent kit for a beginner that can be made & be confident it will sail afterwards.

I prefer commercial vessels to pleasure boats if the option is there.

Malcolm Frary11/08/2020 17:05:59
892 forum posts

Model Slipway kits build into superb models that sail well. Having said that, it helps enormously to have some boat model experience. Just an opinion, but something simpler and less complex might be a better start to give a working boat while easing the learning curve.

Colin Bishop11/08/2020 18:35:18
4513 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Model Slipway are certainly very good and the kits go together well but you haven't said what sort of preference you have as there are a vast range of subjects.

If you are going to put a fair bit of effort into a build, and more power to your elbow, then you need to find a subject which appeals to you.

A kit is an excellent introduction to boat modelling as the manufacturer has done all the design work and if you build to the instructions then you are virtually guaranteed to have a good model that performs well. And the experience will stand you in good stead for future projects.

If the Model Slipway subjects appeal to you then you will have seen their home page which makes recommendations for beginners or modellers with experience in other fields. Advice worth following.

**LINK**

All very good advice and you will get excellent after sales support if needed. People on this forum will be happy to offer additional advice if asked.

Colin

Empire Parkstone11/08/2020 18:58:07
222 forum posts
8 photos

whichever ones takes your Eye do a search on here or mayhem someone has probably built one

Tim Cooper11/08/2020 19:19:06
371 forum posts
161 photos

Simon

I have built the Aziz and Tamar by Model Slipway. Both built into nice models.

Don't remember any major problems. The kits I built used printed styrene for lots of the parts so you have be good at cutting them out. But it was a few years ago so they may have changed.

Tim

Dave Milbourn11/08/2020 19:22:04
3999 forum posts
282 photos

If it's of any guidance to you then Lawrie White - half of Model Slipway - always said that the Loyal Class fleet tender is a good model for a beginner. It's a single screw and 1/24 scale, which makes the fittings quite large and easy to handle. It performs very well and to my mind looks very much the part on the water.

Dave M

Ray Wood 211/08/2020 20:29:26
1982 forum posts
707 photos

Hi Simon,

Have a look at the Sarik plans range for ideas, there are hundreds to choose from with some having hulls available if you don't want to scratch build?

Regards Ray

Simon Moore 313/08/2020 17:34:47
2 forum posts
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 11/08/2020 19:22:04:

If it's of any guidance to you then Lawrie White - half of Model Slipway - always said that the Loyal Class fleet tender is a good model for a beginner. It's a single screw and 1/24 scale, which makes the fittings quite large and easy to handle. It performs very well and to my mind looks very much the part on the water.

Dave M

Thank you for the replys gents.

I had my eye on th Aziz it's right up my street but having looked again I think I may invest in the loyal class & have a go. At worst I will have a very nice static model.

Dave Milbourn13/08/2020 17:45:26
3999 forum posts
282 photos

Simon

Aziz is big and impressive with loads of scale detail and twin motors, all of which makes it less suitable for a beginner. Loyal is an older kit and the instructions can be a trifle baffling in places but I've never seen a badly-built one and Jackie White is always there to help if required.

Dave M

Colin Bishop13/08/2020 18:24:55
4513 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

I agree with Dave, Aziz problably needs a bit more experience, In particular you need to ensure that the hatch in that big flat after deck doesn't let in water if the conditions become a bit bumpy. I have a classic set of photos of an Aziz sinking in those conditions!

Loyal would be an excellent choice to literally test the water. A very attractive and practical model plus choice of colour schemes. What's not to like?

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor