Recovery

Non functioning boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BRYAN ASTON09/08/2020 11:20:06
271 forum posts

greetings all

another silly question
The club I belong to has shut down because of the virus and I am mostly on my own on the occasions I visit the lake/pond, My question is this, if the boat comes to a stop in the middle of the pond and refuses to move again and there is no wind has anyone used a fishing rod with a ball attached to the end of the line to pull it in.

regards Bryan

Tim Cooper09/08/2020 12:08:34
388 forum posts
171 photos

Bryan

Can just remember last time I took a boat out.

I take a ball on the end of some fly fishing line, as the line floats, and waders. I try to take another boat on another Tx as a recovery boat. Only time there was a problem was testing a Model Slipway Tamar which stopped in the middle of the pond, had to borrow waders off the park keeper. So I bought my own.

Tim

ashley needham09/08/2020 13:42:07
6852 forum posts
201 photos

Bryan. Easiest method is to take another boat, which is why I take a lander as a spare. Manouverable and flat fronted.

extending fishing pole, rod and line, ball and string, wellies, waders all work.

Ashley

BRYAN ASTON09/08/2020 16:04:24
271 forum posts

Ashley & Tim

Thankyou for your suggestions I will try with the rod and line, I have trouble walking with one boat I could not manage two boats. When the club opens again I can always get a push , I have often supplied a push myself.

Strange times

regards

Bryan

Malcolm Frary09/08/2020 16:34:13
921 forum posts

Rescue methods vary with the nature of the pool. Size and depth, mainly, but the pond bottom needs to be considered.

The missile and line is very effective if you are confident of landing your missile beyond your boat rather than on or in, it.

ashley needham09/08/2020 18:25:12
6852 forum posts
201 photos

Bry. Get a trolley. It makes sense. Carries the gear easily and takes the hard work out of transportation giving you a better boating experience! Can carry TWO boats then, also sarnies/flask and so on.

Ashley

Tim Cooper09/08/2020 21:27:35
388 forum posts
171 photos

Bryan

I converted an old pushchair last winter. Not. been able to try it yet.

Tim

p1070731.jpg

Chris E10/08/2020 15:05:51
173 forum posts
Posted by ashley needham on 09/08/2020 13:42:07:

.......................... which is why I take a lander as a spare.........................

Ashley

Ashley

I assume we are talking about your 20in landers. What did you decide was the best spec motor/voltage/prop - there seem to have been a number of variations? Your experience must be wider than anybody else's!

Edited By Chris E 1 on 10/08/2020 15:06:38

BRYAN ASTON10/08/2020 15:11:29
271 forum posts

Greetings

Tim ,Ashley,Malcolm

Thank you for your replies, I am 82 yrs old ,suffer from a severe back problem ,and two knees that have had much better days, to launch my boats have a fishing trolley with a cradle secured to the bottom of the trolley, the boat rests in the cradle and trolley and boat are both lowered into the pond/lake by the handles, the boat then gently floats off and away it goes, on recovery the boat is brought to the lakeside ,the trolley is slid under the boat and up it comes ,simples

I have used this method for years ,it works perfectly, however, the council heightened the concrete path around the lake last year it therefore follows that the water surface was lower in relation to the path, it was getting a bit of a stretch, when I went to the lake two weeks ago with the lack of rain, the trolley was not long enough to reach and because of dodgy knees I could not kneel down, luckily a fellow boater took pity on me and launched and recovered my boat.I have now purchased a longer trolley, Theoretically it should work.

The fishing trolley is not suitable to carry two boats and I cannot walk back to my car to fetch another spare boat, one walk to and return is my limit

Having reduced you all to tears I shall have to practice with the fishing rod, the trouble is I have never used a fishing rod in my life , I have practiced in the garden but I can cast it out but I cannot reel it back in.,life is full of problems.

BRYAN ASTON10/08/2020 15:11:31
271 forum posts

Greetings

Tim ,Ashley,Malcolm

Thank you for your replies, I am 82 yrs old ,suffer from a severe back problem ,and two knees that have had much better days, to launch my boats have a fishing trolley with a cradle secured to the bottom of the trolley, the boat rests in the cradle and trolley and boat are both lowered into the pond/lake by the handles, the boat then gently floats off and away it goes, on recovery the boat is brought to the lakeside ,the trolley is slid under the boat and up it comes ,simples

I have used this method for years ,it works perfectly, however, the council heightened the concrete path around the lake last year it therefore follows that the water surface was lower in relation to the path, it was getting a bit of a stretch, when I went to the lake two weeks ago with the lack of rain, the trolley was not long enough to reach and because of dodgy knees I could not kneel down, luckily a fellow boater took pity on me and launched and recovered my boat.I have now purchased a longer trolley, Theoretically it should work.

The fishing trolley is not suitable to carry two boats and I cannot walk back to my car to fetch another spare boat, one walk to and return is my limit

Having reduced you all to tears I shall have to practice with the fishing rod, the trouble is I have never used a fishing rod in my life , I have practiced in the garden but I can cast it out but I cannot reel it back in.,life is full of problems.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor