Forum sponsored by Dremel

Pond Yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T08/08/2020 19:47:25
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

vintage yacht 2.jpgGuess what I have bought.

vintage yacht 1.jpg

Yes its a traction engine.

But seriously I would like to identify this model so does anyone know anything about this particular type of model.

Paul

Colin Bishop08/08/2020 20:01:45
4592 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles

That's a lovely boat Paul.

Colin

Paul T08/08/2020 20:18:02
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hi Colin

I am very happy with it.

It was built in the 1950s by a member of Arsenal Local Model Yacht Club in Birkenhead it stands almost 6ft from keel to mast head, I have never heard of the Arsenal Local Model Yacht Club.

Paul

Bob Abell09/08/2020 08:02:59
8949 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Paul

Is it radio controlled or a free sailer?

Bob

Malcolm Frary09/08/2020 08:50:35
901 forum posts

In the 1950's radios generally fitted into a small sideboard, so originally, almost certainly a free sailer. A "serious" model would generally have some sort of steering correction, but there is no sign of a vane sitting on the stern, and no sign of the deck fittings that are associated with Braine gear. It might have a weighted rudder, but that is from a much earlier time.

i don't see any running rigging that might allow sail control by a radio if one got fitted later, but that doesn't mean that it is not a "steering only" model where the sails get set and you hope that as set they will give enough control.

The hull length might gve a clue as to any class it might belong to. On the other hand, it might have been built from a plan in something like the "Boys Own Paper" or similar to be a good looking boat intended to give pleasure sailing on a pond.

Gareth Jones09/08/2020 09:34:40
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Hi Paul,

Can you provide the hull length and beam? A side on photograph showing the hull and keel profile would also help.

Gareth

Paul T09/08/2020 15:01:50
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello Bob

I presume that it was built as a free sailer because as Malcolm pointed out the radio gear back then was huge and very expensive.

However the previous owner fitted a 3 channel system including a 'get me home motor' for when the boat is in the middle of the lake and wind dies.

Hello Malcolm

There is no outward evidence of automatic sailing gear but it does have a nice large rudder, I think you are correct about it being a nice looking boat for pleasurable sailing.

Hi Gareth

As soon as the sun decides to stop its impersonation of a flame thrower I will get the boat out of the car and take lots of photos and measurements and would be very grateful for any of your insights.

Paul

ashley needham09/08/2020 18:27:02
6755 forum posts
198 photos

What Colin said. A very nice boat. Classic pond dimensions and all that nice wood.

Ashley

Bob Abell09/08/2020 18:34:24
8949 forum posts
2824 photos

Now then, Paul, tell us please..........

What`s the story, and how have you acquired it ?

Bob

Paul T09/08/2020 18:34:31
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hi Ash

I am really looking forward to sailing this one.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor