Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Airbrushing - glossy fininsh?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon20/09/2020 15:12:30
200 forum posts
191 photos

Managed an acceptable silk finish today. Used Tamiya Clear Gloss, ca,30% thinner and ca.5-10% Paint Retarder. Sprayed at about 12-15cm distance at half throttle (2 bar) on my particular compressor which is a cheap-ish unit from the Norwegian equivalent of Halfords. There seems to me to be an aweful lot of variable parameters in the air-brushing process! I'm quite nervous while doing the actual spraying....because I don't actually 20200920_140947.jpgknow what I'm doing I suppose.

George

Paul T20/09/2020 18:37:50
7172 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello George

That is a very nice satin finish, its not a finish that I have ever tried to do.

Paul

ashley needham21/09/2020 08:26:46
6674 forum posts
160 photos

Nice finish George and worth the effort.

Matt and semi-Matt finishes I always thought were the trickiest to do.

Trevor has been trying to spray a fluorescent green, and that’s awful stuff....thin and very difficult to get even.

Ashley

gecon21/09/2020 08:56:24
200 forum posts
191 photos

20200921_092044.jpgI have found that matt is easy to acheive with an airbrush. I have had trouble getting it to shine -even a slight shimmer is demanding. But I think I now know what to do....more-or-20200921_091938.jpgless!

Flourescent needs to have white undercoat but I'm sure Trevor knows that already.

Hull heading for the cellar store today. It's a bit early in the build to do the hull paintwork but I needed the practice! I expect I'll be spraying again after the build. Bound to be some knocks and scratches.

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor