Airbrushing - glossy fininsh?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T07/08/2020 21:01:30
7172 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello George

Now I understand your predicament and why you are airbrushing acrylic paint.

My coach painter tutor once told me that the best conditions for spray painting were on a desert island, as this location had perfect humidity with no insects but you had to spray just before dusk as this is when the breeze was still.

Having sprayed paint in many different locations, levels of humidity, insects and temperature I can fully appreciate your problems.

Can you post some photos of your current paint job and identify your concerns, now that we know your location and obvious pitfalls surrounding painting we will be able to offer far more sensible advice.

All the best

Paul

gecon08/08/2020 22:00:04
200 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Paul,

photo in 'scratch build' yesterday 07.08. and a few of the last photos in my Fisher 34 album show the subject.

I believe I'll manage to get the required result by using lower pressure and applying more paint on each 'pass'. Had a break today but will start up the kompressor again soon to test out the recent theory!

Regards,

George

gecon09/08/2020 19:43:48
200 forum posts
191 photos

Further to my last, in case anyone is interested....

Connected up the Beijing blowpipe this afternoon. Paint did not come out of the nozzel, just back out of the paintcup! After a good wash and brush-up all was working again. I did clean everything after the previous session but obviously not well enough.

This time I used lower pressure from the compressor and sprayed over the hull much more slowly than I actually dared to. Paint went on a bit thicker and the end result after about 20 passes was a satin finish. Another dose tomorrow should give me an acceptable finish. Airbrushing white-on-white is quite demanding because it isn't easy to see the spray -nor where it hits the hull. I can't say that I now know what I'm doing but, I'm getting an idea of what not to do.

The airbrush I bought has a 0.25mm nozzel. For spraying a 1m hull the nozzel should probably be 0.5mm or .08mm. That would allow thicker paint and/or more of it. Not to worry, I needed the excersize anyway!

Cheers, gecon

Edited By gecon on 09/08/2020 19:44:34

gecon10/08/2020 19:02:59
200 forum posts
191 photos

20200810_193120.jpgLast session with white acrylic on the Fisher 34 topsides this morning before taking the Comtesse for a dip. Lovely WX today so could not sit indoors and ponder about 'gloss or silk' finishes. I doubt if the Queen will be popping over to bash the bows with bubbly on launch day anyway. The result so far is a realistic 'glossy-silk'. Before polishing.

Anyway, removed all but one layer of masking tape to check the results. The W/L is about 1cm above the visible blue in the photo. A layer of masking tape is still on the hull, so more blue will suddenly appear -in a day or two.

I don't yet know if the finish is due to lots more coats...ref. Paul T. or due to a more 'agressive' application method. There was no sign of shine until I started spraying on thicker coats that's for sure. So not allowing the paint to dry too soon after it hits the surface is definately a key factor.

gecon

Edited By gecon on 10/08/2020 19:12:15

Paul T10/08/2020 20:41:40
7172 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello George

Looking at your photos the finish on the blue seems to be lovely, I can't really comment on the white as I can't see it properly (by bouncing light off it) but if its as good as the blue then you have no worries.

Paul

gecon10/08/2020 22:54:14
200 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Paul,

The white is in fact much smoother that the blue which is enamel and went on with a mohair roller! I considered airbrushing the blue but I've had enough for now. I can tackle that later if I receive any complaints. I'm pleased with the results so far, considering that I'm doing things about which I know 'nowt'.

Hope to do some detail work on the 'varnishy bits' soon but I won't post any photos. I don't want to make you crycryingsmiley

gecon

gecon11/09/2020 07:30:15
200 forum posts
191 photos

Just for info...

I have bought another type of airbrush. Hobbynox Rudy. Should have noticed this one earlier. It has the look of a 'spray gun' as opposed to an 'airbrush' which is probably why I have not read the 'bumf' on it before now. However it has a nozzle design which permits spraying with a 'fan shaped' spray pattern. Thus covering more area and laying down a more concentrated amount of paint with each passing. The info sheet states that is is designed for large ship hulls and large A/C models. The nozzel opening is 0.8mm whereas the first airbrush I tried has 0.3mm.

Elsewhere (You Tube) I note that airbrushed Acrylic should be oversprayed with clear varnish to seal it better and make it more durable. I have bought some Tamiya clear gloss X-22 for this purpose.

I will try yet again to acheive a better finish on the Fisher 34 hull. If it works, I'll do the Colin Archer hull too -before the autumn weather sets in here in Norway and renders the spray-booth (balcony) unsuitable for painting.

Forecast is good for next week so looks like Tuesday will be 'spray-day'.

gecon

Edited By gecon on 11/09/2020 07:35:28

gecon15/09/2020 16:37:42
200 forum posts
191 photos

Airbrushing etc...

I'm a bit sorry that I started off on this airbrush escapade but I have at least learned something new. Today I also discovered that the new Ruby (not RuDy as I wrote earlier) needed a more powerful compressor than the one I have. When I tested today (just blowing air through) my small-ish compressor could not deliver enough air through the 0.8mm Ruby nozzle so I gave that up PDQ.

Seeing that I had rigged everything up anyway I decided to have another go with the first airbrush I bought. I achieved a slightly better finish than earlier by mixing in some 'paint retarder' with the thinned clear acrylic gloss. The added retarder extended the drying time of the acrylic so I managed to get a 'wet' look on the surface after about five succesive passes. I did not want to push my luck so I settled for that as the final finish for the Fisher 34 hull.

gecon

Paul T15/09/2020 17:34:11
7172 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello George

Getting a 'wet look' is always difficult as it is all about getting a lot of paint on without creating drips or worse still ending up with an orange peel finish.

I think you have done a lovley job especially given your northerly location and having to work on your balcaony.

Paul

gecon16/09/2020 16:54:59
200 forum posts
191 photos

Thanks Paul, started on the Colin Archer hull this afternoon!

Not because I really wanted to but because the Wx was right and I wanted to try the processes again before I forget what I did on the Fisher hull! Got matte finish today -I'll try the Tamiya clear gloss as topcoat tomorrow and hope for a silk-ish finish. An old Colin Archer hardly needs gloss topsides!

regards,

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor