Forum sponsored by Dremel

Edwardian Steam Launch

An attempt to scratch build a steam launch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Redpiperbob04/08/2020 11:44:33
31 forum posts
36 photos

Hi all I have decided to start a new boat build. I thought some of you out there may be interested in the build.

This will not be a regular blow by blow build (Unless you ask it to be) as I am sure there are many out there that can do a better job than me. But it is more of a “have I done this right” build. I would welcome any help or advise on this adventure.

I am going to attempt to model a steam launch something like the Osprey, Branksome, Kittywake type that sail the lakes in north England.

This will be my first scratch build. This will be my first real live steam model. Although I did build the Graupner Glasgow with live steam that was with a readymade engine, boiler ETC.

Here are some of the bits I have that I want to use in the build.

I have an Orion Mouldings Edwardian steam launch hull that is 1.2 metres long and 23 CM wide and 12 CM deep.

I also have a Stuart horizontal Boiler, a hand pump, a condenser, a steam valve (servo operated) and a refillable gas tank.

Many years ago my late wife bought me the DVD set that Keith Appleton recorded on How to Build a Model Steam Launch. So this has given me some idea on how to go about the build.

I also bought and have just finished building the Graham Industries TVR1A BB twin engine.

I am very impressed with the quality of this little engine. I have just had it running on air for the first time. Here is a video of the TVR1A.

**LINK**

I hope this will be a little entertaining build.

and as I say I will be glad of any advise or help.

Thanks

Bob

Edited By Redpiperbob on 04/08/2020 11:45:36

Redpiperbob04/08/2020 12:44:16
31 forum posts
36 photos

I have created an album for the pictures I will upload for this build

Here are the first pictures.

whistle and steam valve_s.jpg

staurt boiler_s.jpgorion mouldings hull 2_s.jpgorion mouldings hull 1_s.jpggas tank and lubricator_s.jpg

condenser and water hand pump_s.jpg

Edited By Redpiperbob on 04/08/2020 12:45:47

Ray Wood 204/08/2020 15:41:38
1982 forum posts
707 photos

Hi Bob,

You have all the expensive bits

Nice to see I'm not the only person who has a model railway round the workshop

Regards Ray

Redpiperbob04/08/2020 17:06:43
31 forum posts
36 photos

Hi Ray yeh

Its taken me a year to acumilate the "expensive bits".

The railway... well thats for the winter months

Thanks

Bob

Brian Dickinson 104/08/2020 18:58:49
237 forum posts
131 photos

Hi Bob,

That's a nice large hull to get everything in. I would be interested in seeing how the model progresses. I am a fan of steam (road and rail) and would like to combine a boat with steam. Its somewhere on my bucket list.

The SL Branksome that you mention was in MB in the 80's it was a fine model, all varnished and looked great. I am sure someone on here will have a picture of it. I was in my early years and there was no way i had the skills to make such a beauty - probably still have not all the skills required.

Good luck with the build and keep us all in on the build.

Brian

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 04/08/2020 19:00:31

Redpiperbob05/08/2020 08:47:28
31 forum posts
36 photos

hi Brian

Thanks for looking in I will keep you all informed. I too have a liking for rail steam I have a 16 mm NG railway in the garden and have built asteam loco sand i am building an "Ellie" tram.

I will keep you all up to date.

Bob

Redpiperbob05/08/2020 11:02:26
31 forum posts
36 photos

OK ladies and gentlemen

I have what I am sure is to be the first in many questions i will be asking.

Below is a line drawing of the hull I have . I have arranged the major items on what will be the deck as you can see I have a 40 mm difference in the height of the prop haft to crankshaft. The question is do I tilt engine and propshaft at an angle to meet or do I use gears or belt drive for the distance or is there another way around this problem?

outline.jpg

What do you all think?thanks

Bob

Colin Bishop05/08/2020 11:48:11
4513 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Well that's opened up a can of worms!

Colin

Redpiperbob05/08/2020 12:05:35
31 forum posts
36 photos

Hi Colin

You know me!!

Bob

Ray Wood 205/08/2020 14:08:29
1982 forum posts
707 photos

Hi Bob,

Here's my starter for 10

Angle the prop shaft up & the engine down, hopefully they should meet

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor