Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Adhesive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
James Hill 503/08/2020 22:10:54
45 forum posts
22 photos

I`m looking at having a go at scratch building a model of the Portsmouth Pilot boat. I`m going to work from plans of the Keith Nelson hull.

At the moment the bulkheads are cut out in 6mm marine ply. I would cover the majority of the hull with some 1/16 marine ply sheet and plank the bottom where the curve is tighter.

A question I have is whether Cascamite glue is still a good glue?, or are there better adhesives around?

Another thing I was considering is making the superstructure from Plasticard. Has anyone else tried that method?

Many thanks,

Jim.

David Marks 103/08/2020 22:28:01
243 forum posts
44 photos

I normally scratch build - wooden hull and Plasticard superstructure. I use an Aliphatic type glue for the wood and solvent weld the Plasticard. I find the glues available from Shop4Glue to be very good. They sell Aliphatic and their brand name for the solvent is Polyweld. The latter is the best solvent glue that I have ever used.

ashley needham03/08/2020 22:51:16
6583 forum posts
144 photos

Jim. Everybody has their favourite glues. Myself, I use ordinary PVA.

This is a topic you will get several answers to, all will be adequate.

My last experience of Cascamite was probably at school so I would not like to give an opinion one way or the other.

Ashley

Colin Bishop03/08/2020 22:56:01
4513 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Shop4glue are not selling to the UK at the moment. I think they are based in Bulgaria.

I agree that Aliphatic is now the best for wood construction and the Deluxe Materials version is very good. They also sell Superphatic which is a sort of super glue alternative for wood with water cleanup, it is excellent stuff.

Plasticard is favoured by many people these days and works well but I still prefer to use birch ply myself.

Colin

David Marks 104/08/2020 07:12:07
243 forum posts
44 photos

Colin - Yes you are correct about Shop4glue now being based in Bulgaria however their website which was dormant for a long time is now up and running and you can now purchase products for shipment to the UK. Never purchased from them by this method, only from their stand at the Warwick show.

Colin Bishop04/08/2020 09:02:22
4513 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

David yes the website is accepting orders but when I tried to buy some glue last week a notice came up saying they are unable to post to the UK at the moment.

Colin

James Hill 504/08/2020 11:12:49
45 forum posts
22 photos

Gentlemen , thank you for your answers.

I`ve had experience of working with plasticard when building my model railway but hadn`t really thought about using it on a boat till now. I`ts a great material to work with I find,and could probably speed up construction.

When using plasticard, I`ve always used Mek Pak as the adhesive. I didn`t realise Deluxe did a wood glue as I`ve always looked at a the railway side of things. I`ll definitely check their website.

This might sound like a dumb question.

When I built the two boats I have at the moment, using marine ply sheet, I would cut the required shape out of paper, transfer on to the ply and cut it out. I then soaked it in water and clamped it to the hull frame to dry. When released ,it held it`s shape. Does Birch ply work the same way? I ask in case I run out of my current pieces of marine ply and have to mix and match and I haven`t used Birch ply before.

Thanks once again,

Jim.

Dave Milbourn04/08/2020 11:47:45
3999 forum posts
282 photos

If you go to this website and click on the Modelling Tips tab at the side then you'll be able to view and download a PDF which covers many aspects of making boats from GRP and styrene, Model Slipway

Many modellers use the term Marine Ply when they are actually using Birch Ply - and vice versa. The differences seem to be the absence of any voids in marine ply and its use of more laminations and/or harder wood veneers. The only way to answer you question would be to try it. I usually resort to bending the sheet gently in the steam from a kettle and holding it until cool. When replacing your plywood stocks don't buy from the DIY supermarkets - their stuff is more often than not useless for model boats. I buy mine from SLEC (link in RH column) and can recommend their products and service unreservedly.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 04/08/2020 11:49:31

James Hill 504/08/2020 13:23:39
45 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks again Dave,

I`ll have a look at that link. and the other one you mentioned. Any timber bought will only come from places dealing with modellers needs.

Regards,

Jim.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor