Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Polish hull or apply name first?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Muttley03/08/2020 14:49:18
4 forum posts

Hi,

I've just finished spraying the hull with a dark blue top coat(s). But this the first boat I've built to such a level of detail and I'm unsure what I need to do next.

The hull needs to have name/numbers/stripes applied but do I polish the hull first (and if so with what?) before applying the numbers? and then lacquer over the top?

Or is there some other way to protect the name/numbers?

The hull also needs to have some vinyl strips which again, I'm unsure whether these need to be applied before applying a finish to the hull.

And finally, what do I do about any blemishes in the top coat? I was going to use a bit of T-Cut but I am worried about losing the gloss of the blue top coat.

Any help gratefully received as I'm worried about ruining this boat with a poor paint job!

M

ashley needham03/08/2020 17:45:49
6755 forum posts
198 photos

Hi Muttley and welcome to the forum.

First off, are you dissatisfied with the finish you have achieved?

Secondly. What sort of paint are you using?? A spray can finish always looks best straight out of the can.

If it is spray can paint, this can be rubbed down with fine paper ending with1200 or so grade wet`n`dry and T-cut afterwards. Other finishes are not so easy, although enamel paint CAN be rubbed down and T-cut but only after it has hardened.

I have found that if you need to T-cut one bit of the finish, you need to do it all....the shine is never quite the same??

Once you are happy with the finish then you can apply the various pinstripes and wotnot. How you finish them depends on the type of material you are using. pinstripe tape generally needs no varnish, water transfers WILL need varnish, vynil stickers probably not.

PERSONALLY. I dislike varnishing paint as it makes touching up very difficult. You should not need to varnish most finishes.

There is a guide to hull finishing i think on the home page somewhere.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 03/08/2020 17:53:20

Muttley03/08/2020 18:25:06
4 forum posts

Hi Ashley.

Thanks!

I'm using Halfords acrylic spray paint, over a Halfords primer (grey cause I'm aware there are some issues with the white). It had 3 coats of top coat, then flatted back with 1200 wet n dry and then a further 3 coats. Currently waiting 2 weeks (as advised on the can) for the paint to harden before doing whatever is next required.

One problem I had has been over-spray in areas around the prop shaft tunnels. Partly inexperience, partly lack of control with commercial spray cans and partly cause with the various keel extensions make it quite difficult not to dust something sprayed a few mins previously. And yes I discovered that T-Cut tends to change the finish.

I probably should have mentioned it's a lifeboat (white lower keel, blue upper).

The hull designation markings and name are all water-slide transfers so I'm expecting them to need some protection but it'll also need some vinyl tape striping.

M

ashley needham03/08/2020 23:02:34
6755 forum posts
198 photos

M. I try to spray something like that “in one”, so that the whole thing is “wet” and minimises the dusting effect.So saying, it is difficult with lots of sticky out bits present.

As for transfers, I would just varnish the actual transfer and 1 or 2mm over the edge, and use a non-yellowing varnish (Humbrol do transfer varnish).

Having given you my words of wisdom, several members here are lifeboat experts and no doubt will pitch in on what is the RIGHT way to do it!

Ashley

Muttley04/08/2020 22:50:48
4 forum posts

Thanks for the advice Ashley, appreciate it.

Paul T05/08/2020 20:44:12
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

All I could add to Ashleys expert assessments is to take some photos of the suspect areas of paintwork.

Muttley07/08/2020 09:48:01
4 forum posts

I'm actually not too worried about the over-spray because it's on the white anti-foul underneath and will t-cut out (or at worse need a flatting back and a limited respray).

It was some advice on polishing the hull, applying the waterslide hull markings and then something to protect them with (that is compatible with whatever I should use to polish the hull) that I was after.

ashley needham07/08/2020 11:20:52
6755 forum posts
198 photos

M. I would suggest that if you get a good shine on the spray, I would not do anything more.

As before, personally I would just varnish over the water slide transfers plus 1mm, and leave the pinstripe.

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor