Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Clinker built rowing boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Brian Muir25/07/2020 17:54:32
257 forum posts
398 photos

I saw this construction method in a book, but with very limited information about the process. So I have drawn up some plans, not sure how to do this, but I have given it a go. From my plans I have traced out the shape of the frames. I intend to cut out each frame and try it out in place with one or two planks to see how they look.

Brian Muir25/07/2020 17:57:13
257 forum posts
398 photos

dsc_0010.jpgdsc_0009.jpg

Brian Muir25/07/2020 18:10:39
257 forum posts
398 photos

dsc_0008.jpgdsc_0006.jpgdsc_0006.jpg

Brian Muir25/07/2020 18:12:23
257 forum posts
398 photos

dsc_0001.jpgdsc_0013.jpg

Brian Dickinson 125/07/2020 18:20:44
245 forum posts
135 photos

Hi Brian.
I am curretly back on planking a yacht. I have to say it’s jolly hard to do. But then I like results in an hour or so 😜

I am glad that I will be painting the model. Good luck with the build I will be following with interest.

Brian

Tim Rowe25/07/2020 20:54:06
425 forum posts
440 photos

You're a brave man Brian

Genuine Clinker construction is quite unforgiving and at the scale you are doing, very fiddly. I would be interested what book you have been referring to.

If you will pardon my comment on your design. You have drawn something more like a fishing boat hull but in any case a hull that will need serious amounts of ballast to be stable. Rowing boats have much flatter bottoms even if they have round bilges. Pram dinghies which have a transom at the bow and at the stern are much easier to build clinker style than dinghies that have a stem like yours. Maybe you can morph it into something else but at the moment it is going to be a strange rowing dinghy. Without ballast it will list one way or another and the correct term for that is loll. ie unstable when upright which when you think about it is a weird condition for a boat.

Following because I really like to see things a bit out of the ordinary.

Subscribed.

Tim R

Brian Muir26/07/2020 17:33:14
257 forum posts
398 photos

Hi Tim, I am worried I have bitten off more than I might be able to chew! the hull shape is quite flat bottomed, the drawings and frames are extended above the gunwale line.

dsc_0014.jpg

Brian Muir26/07/2020 17:36:34
257 forum posts
398 photos

dsc_0018.jpgdsc_0020.jpgThe book I saw the build is shown below, the kit is by Kish Model Boats

dsc_0021.jpg

Brian Muir26/07/2020 17:48:06
257 forum posts
398 photos

I have adapted the shape of the frames, in the book the keel sits on top of the frames, this would mean that the first plank is glued to the top edge of the keel, I felt that if I cut a slot in the top of the frame, then the keel could sit into it and the planks would be glued midway down the height of the keel, this way the keel will show through in the bottom of the boat.

dsc_0016.jpg

Ray Wood 226/07/2020 20:54:18
2167 forum posts
756 photos

img_20200726_203455.jpgimg_20200726_203525.jpgHi Brian,

I bought this super book maybe 30 years ago but never plucked up the courage to build one !!

Published by and bought at the National Maritme Museum at Greenwich, it has a drawing of a dinghy with all the moulds and plank positions and best of all the individual plank shapes 😀

Pm your email I'll try and scan to you, it may help your build 👍

Regards Rayimg_20200726_203510.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor