Forum sponsored by Dremel

Boat decking

Planking to run fore and aft or abeam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
michael howarth 121/07/2020 21:04:30
34 forum posts
4 photos

May I enquire from the Forum whether deck planking should run fore and aft or abeam or maybe both. (I hope that I have got the terminology right but the little I know about boats I picked up from Hornblower books).

Mick

Kip Woods22/07/2020 08:53:32
265 forum posts
35 photos

Deck planking runs fore & aft on all the boats I've ever seen.

Malcolm Frary22/07/2020 10:11:33
892 forum posts

Generally fore and aft.

On many, following the curve of the deck edge. For the brave and talented, meeting in joggles at the king plank in the middle.

Some launches had diagonal deck planking, but I've never seen pictures of deck planling going across. When you think about it, the beams holding the deck up run across, so the planks that they support won't.

michael howarth 122/07/2020 11:18:26
34 forum posts
4 photos

Thank you gents. . In my case it would be easier to fix cross beam planking but it would look pretty silly so I thought it best to check.

Mick

neil howard-pritchard23/07/2020 16:32:35
1484 forum posts
790 photos

fore/aft planking has been the way since pre roman times...…….it is done that way to add integrity and strength to the hull, which if planked across the beam would have no longitudinal strength at all, and on a real ship would break in two in a strong wind.

John W E23/07/2020 17:27:08
263 forum posts
257 photos

russian_monitor_novgorod_(scale_model).jpghi there

yes, deck planking in general does run fore and aft on the majority of sailing craft etc., but , like everything else in this world - there are 1 or 2 exceptions. Funnily enough 2 exceptions that spring to mind are The Russian round warship and also I recall seeing a model - I believe it may have been in Newcastle upon Tyne museum of a turret ship which was built in Sunderland and I am sure if my memory serves me right - there was part of the deck planking that went across the ship between the holes in the model. To be 100% certain I will have to look to see if the model is still on display - I need to find some pics of the deck and hatches.

John

Edited By John W E on 23/07/2020 17:28:03

John W E23/07/2020 17:29:13
263 forum posts
257 photos

1920px-turret_age_(1893)_of_newcastle-upon-tyne_in_the_dry_dock_st._johns_newfoundland_in_1899_(1902)_(14793900823).jpg

ashley needham23/07/2020 17:45:31
6583 forum posts
144 photos

Love the round Russian! It had six props or more..if memory serves.

My flying saucer steers quite well with its centre pump outlet and a big rudder. Wonder how the round Russian would steer with six props and...dontquote me....just the centre rudder??

Ashley

gecon23/07/2020 17:57:05
183 forum posts
184 photos

I bet Ashley will build a round Russian next week and make it plane going sideways. Or maybe just astern.

George

michael howarth 131/07/2020 04:42:44
34 forum posts
4 photos

The round Russian is a beauty.....but what is the flag she is flying?

Mick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor