Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

1/40 scale KD Perkasa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Milbourn21/07/2020 14:52:10
4003 forum posts
282 photos

This is the super-detailed prototype of a forthcoming SLEC kit. It's about 30" long (750mm) and will run on a 2835/9T 900kv outrunner motor. The model shown has 3D-printed guns, bridge fittings and flare launchers - these will NOT be included in the kit but are all available from Shapeways! I can't say when the kit will be released as there's a lot of work still to do on the documentation. Please don't address any queries about it to SLEC just yet - I'd suggest that early next year would be a more likely date.

There are more photos in the album.

pic 01a.jpg

Dave M

Paul T21/07/2020 20:09:43
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Hi Dave

This is a very nice model and very well built, the detail in the wheelhouse is stunning especially the pigeon holes for the flags.

But is the deck the correct shade of green?smiley (sorry but no rivets to count)

Paul

Colin Bishop21/07/2020 20:15:39
4529 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

Deck looks about right to me.

Colin

Paul T21/07/2020 20:59:26
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Hello Colin

There are very few model builders that I rate as an expert and Dave is in the top three, but as this isn't a Fairey I had to find something wrong with it or Dave would think that I had gone soft.

Paul

Cookie21/07/2020 21:47:39
117 forum posts

Looks good Dave , be nice to see a shot of the front lower bridge window details window frames and wipers ect , they are so difficult to get right as i knoooow

Dave

Dave Milbourn21/07/2020 22:53:15
4003 forum posts
282 photos

Paul

I had two tinlets of Humbrol Uniform Green #76 left over from Sentinel, so that's what it got. #88 Deck Green always looked a bit wishy-washy to me. Many thanks for the promotion into the top three - I'll may get it completely right one day.

Cookie

I didn't figure you for a rivet-counter! If you buy one and want that level of detail then be my guest, m'duck. I'm afraid that window frames at that scale would defeat me, and if I can't make a decent job of something then I'd rather leave it off. Like many scale models, you can carry on adding things until they start to look cluttered - unless you're Stan Reffin. He's in my top three.

Dave M

John W E22/07/2020 11:11:52
263 forum posts
257 photos

hi there

nice model Dave, well built. I think we need to buy somebody a book on nautical terms try flag locker. Personally, its a very nice model. I am surprised that SLEC has chosen this model to go into production, unless of course its just going to be a limited run. As we all know there are numerous kits out there with this model and I cannot see it making a great impact because it is such a select field. The one thing that has been done is there is a good flag ship model by Dave to promote it and if they have the right photographs on the advertising - it should do a lot to help sell this model. The only thing I can ask is, not having seen the internals, could this be converted into say twin or triple screw - as in the original? without too much butchering of the inside?

From my recollections, the colour green that Dave has is roughly about the right shade after me walking on a good few naval 'green' decks. or, should I say after the paint had been chipped off and you saw the original colour of the decks.

John

Paul T22/07/2020 12:34:21
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Hello John

'Flag Locker' I knew that there had to be a correct nautical term to describe the pigeon holes but I just couldn't remember it.

The reason for commenting on this particular piece of the build was the impressive 'crispness' of its construction, every little square is perfectly formed without the rounded internal corners caused by drips after overenthusiastic painting.

It is this level of attention to detail that puts Dave in my top three builders.

Paul

Dave Milbourn22/07/2020 13:58:31
4003 forum posts
282 photos

John

I don't get to chose the kits which SLEC want to produce - or ask why. In this case John Rudd had already started this version when he died in 1999, so Ian Hull asked me to continue with it some 20 years on. Bear in mind that the two Precedent/Anglian Models kits went out of production some years ago, as did the Nautical Marine Models version, so there's not much competition left. It will take twin or triple screws - whatever the builder wants to do.

DM

Colin Bishop22/07/2020 14:10:32
4529 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

It's like the Faireys. The basic kit will give you something better than near scale and more ambitious builders can add enhancements to improve the realism even further.

You could never really do that with an Aerokit, good as they were.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 22/07/2020 14:15:24

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor