Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Mahealani - 75' motor yacht 1/24 scale

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy F16/07/2020 15:44:28
55 forum posts
99 photos

I've managed to get bored with all my other creations so whilst wondering what I could do next I found a set of plans on the internet and thought... Hmmmm... like you do.

mistral_800.jpg

I wanted something no larger than 1 metre in length (because I'd struggle to get anything bigger in the car) and this one came in at 1250mm or thereabouts so it had to be scaled down slightly. Not a problem and construction began in earnest. My preferred medium is plastic (shock horror) so all the various bits were scanned into a cutter and the parts made. I tend to use laminated 20 thou styrene which is strong but surprisingly light and easy to work with.

I've already had a lot of help and advice from various people on another site (which shall remain nameless) but for reasons of actually daring to have an opinion about something, I was summarily banned. If anyone here was a contributor to my thread over there then I'd like to thank them for all their assistance.

Anyway, the build so far:

20200716_1.jpg

The superstructure (which is removable at this stage) is almost complete, the motors, radio gear and battery are in the garage waiting for me to decide where to place them. I intend to sort of plank the hull using long 4x2mm balsa 'planks' with a coat of epoxy on the inside for both strength and waterproofing.

More bits:

20200716_2.jpg

The rear cabin bar/lounge area. This will eventually be populated with G scale figures and properly stocked and illuminated.

20200716_5.jpg

The rear sun deck area. This area will have a 'canvas' canopy draped over it eventually and maybe a table.

20200716_3.jpg

The pilot house. All but finished with real wood cladding on the walls. Chintzy.

20200716_4.jpg

The other boat. Not sure what to call this really. Is it a lifeboat? Is it just a get you to and from boat? Whatever, the basic shell is one my great uncle built about 50 years ago. All I've done is pimp it up a little with a rudder and a tarp.

That's it for now. There's lots more bits and pieces to do, not least of which is clad the hull and sand off those very rough deck planks but that's for another day.

Thanks for reading

Andy

Andy F16/07/2020 15:48:20
55 forum posts
99 photos

BTW in case anyone's wondering, Mahealani is a Hawaiian word which translates as heavenly moonlight or heavenly mist depending upon who you listen to. In my case it was a pleasant young lady in Lahaina, Maui a few years ago.

Ray Wood 216/07/2020 16:57:29
2178 forum posts
761 photos

Hi Andrew,

She is looking great, nice to see a new build of a classic boat, interesting to see you build the frame & superstructure first before planking the hull, keep up the good work 👍 is there another model boat forum? 😀😀😀

Regards Ray

Andy F16/07/2020 17:16:02
55 forum posts
99 photos
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 16/07/2020 16:57:29:

....is there another model boat forum? 😀😀😀

Regards Ray

Not as far as I'm concerned secret

To be honest, I think doing the interesting stuff first is a mistake and it's one I always make. It's just that I get bored doing planks.

Important stuff that I forgot to mention earlier.

Twin motors (385's as per recommendation), twin rudders, 9.6v NiMH (again as recommended) and a Viper Marine 15 ESC.

On that other site kulou I saw an interesting video of a similar craft all fancied up with party lights so I've invested a whole £1.79 on a string of coloured LEDs to drape along the boat. 

Gaudy or what?

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 16/07/2020 17:37:22

Chris Fellows16/07/2020 17:27:54
809 forum posts
532 photos

Yes, a nice looking boat and you're making a good job it.

Chris

gecon16/07/2020 19:38:21
276 forum posts
244 photos

Nice work Andrew, lovely wheelhouse interior detail. I know what you mean about the boring planking!

I found a lot of excuses for painting and preparing crew members and small detail items in between long-ish planking pauses. The same while fairing the hull after planking was done. Needed smal therapy-breaks by doing some detail stuff.

George

Andy F04/08/2020 11:37:52
55 forum posts
99 photos

So I've finally made a start on planking the hull and what a tedious job it is too - put a few pieces on, wait for the glue to dry then repeat ad infinitum....

20200804_1.jpg

So in the meantime I've been playing with more interesting stuff such as...

replacing the wholly unsatisfactory wooden deck with a more aesthetically pleasing plastic one.

20200804_2.jpg

Stocking the bar...

20200804_3.jpg

Building a tent...

20200804_4.jpg

and figuring out where best to put the gorgeous Ellie.

20200804_5.jpg

All these bits are currently still removeable so that when I eventually finish building the hull I will still have easy access to the interior for waterproofing and ballast etc.

I do have one slight problem though. I set the aluminium plate (1st photo) to mount the motors on at the wrong angle and consequently the motors/propshafts are binding. Not good but easily fixable.

Ray Wood 204/08/2020 12:12:54
2178 forum posts
761 photos

Hi Andrew,

As I'm in the construction industry it's rather like building the roof first and then the foundations later, I always build the hull inverted on a board as it makes the planking more accessible, and gives me a platform to build the superstructure on, still each to his own, she looks a super job, shame about your motor alignment ! but I'm sure sure you will get over it

Regards Ray

harry smith 105/08/2020 02:34:05
1043 forum posts
1219 photos

Hi Andrew

Nice boat and top work !!!

I was scare off of planking to start with, but once I got into it.

I found it was not that bad and I enjoy it.

I use Ikea 3mm wooden blind which is like a hard balsa, but stronger and easier to steam and bend.

Harry Smith

Andy F06/08/2020 22:42:35
55 forum posts
99 photos

So with all the superstructure removed, hull planking began in earnest today.

20200806_1.jpg

One side is almost complete and I've done about 2" of the other side. This much has taken all day..... it's going to be a long job.

My plan is once it's all planked then I will sand it all smooth-ish then cover & dope(?) it. Once I'm happy with that I'll skim it with Isopon and resin the inside.

Any thoughts on this plan of action? I'm open to suggestions.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor