Forum sponsored by Dremel

twin screw control

how to use a flysky FS-I6X to control both motors independently

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
alfred wynne-jones05/07/2020 13:14:20
2 forum posts

Hi

i have a question, I have a flysky transmitter and i want to use both joysticks to control the two motors individually for what is sometimes called "tank " control, ie be able to go ahead on say the port motor and astern on the stbd for manouvering.

Then for full ahead i'd like to be able to mix the two joystick channels say 2 and 3 with an aux switch so that using 3 as the master and 2 as slave so that at full power i only need to use one joystick (no 3) thus have the same power settings to both motors.

I don't seem to be able to find a combination of mixes and/or aux channels to achive this, it might not be possible.

These flysky controlers are obviously geared up more to the use for a plane and i've never used a plane so i'm not familiar with the options available that might lend them selves to what i want to achive.

So if there is anyone out there who can advise i would be most thank full

Brian Dickinson 105/07/2020 13:37:30
214 forum posts
125 photos

I am sure someone will be able to help. I had a tx question and loads of info was given.
I think the mix control in the tx might be some help.

Brian

Colin Bishop05/07/2020 15:02:06
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

It used to be quite easy to do this until the latest speed controllers came along! My Fishery cruiser model uses the undercarriage switch on the TX to operate an electronic switch on the RX to swap control from one to two sticks using a Y lead from one of the speed controllers. These older Astec units could be swiitched on and off without problems but most modern ones need to do a reset when the power is interrupted which takes several seconds and you lose control during that period.

The stock answer is to get an ACTion P94 of the required rating:

**LINK**

If you download the data sheet you will see that there are two mixer options, one of which allows a model to be spun on its axis. The unit isn't cheap but it does include two speed controllers plus a mixer.

Some TXs do provide inbuilt mixer facilities, usually known as V tail I think, but these are geared to aircraft use and you may not be able to assign the mixing to the two vertical stick channels.

I'm sure someone else can do a better job explaining this as the subject has come up before.

Colin

harry smith 106/07/2020 13:08:06
1018 forum posts
1280 photos

Hi Alfred

Checkout you tube !!!

Also the Hobbyking Turnigy I6 is the same beast.

It's one of the things I would like to know !!!

Harry Smith

Malcolm Frary07/07/2020 10:34:06
867 forum posts

When trying to do something that the manufacturers never thought of, you will need a "magic box" between the receiver and the ESCs. The transmitter is set as simply as possible, the "magic box" takes its instructions from the receiver, considers them, and gives outputs to the various things plugged into it according to the instructions that you have written into it.

One of the boxes is called an "Arduino". Its a computer on a chip that you program. Rather a steep learning curve.

A unit like the P94 will only mix according to what was designed in, you get one stick for speed, another for differential and rudder.

Using another channel with a switcher with a change-over relay in the signal, rather than power, wires could perform the link/not link function without interupting the power to the ESC control circuits, so the need for a magic box is eliminated. Rather than a computer providing the logic, the operator does it manually. I'm fairly sure that I saw somebody doing something like this with a rather fancy Futaba awhile back, but what extras were in the boat I have no idea.

Colin Bishop07/07/2020 11:02:31
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Sorry, I should have made it clear in my earlier post. My method entails swapping the signal wire as per the rough diagram below., not switching on and off power to the ESCs. However I was told that simp[ly interrupting the signal can cause a reset.

(Not sure why the pic is sideways!

Colin

tank-group circuit.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 07/07/2020 11:03:07

harry smith 107/07/2020 11:02:35
1018 forum posts
1280 photos

Using the FS-I6X Instruction Manual, dated 8/10/2018.

This Tx allows infinite experimenting with the various control functions and ultimately reverting to factory settings if dissatisfied with results.

After several attempts at setting the ELEVON function (V-TAIL could be similar, but the Tx channels would be different), decided this works best for me.

It puts both brushless ESCs on the RH control lever. Moving it up operates both screws in the forward direction and down into reverse.

Going from side to side speeds up or slows down the motors, so the boat goes in the direction the lever dictates.

This was accomplished by: 1) Page 14/57 Establish the Tx Stick mode, mine was # 2.

2) Considering ELEVON, need to determine which layout allows the Aileron and Elevator controls to be operated by same lever.

3) Use Elevator for throttle (fwd & astern) and Aileron to “turn”. The Aileron will accelerate the motor on the outside of a turn.

4) Plug Port & Starboard motor ESCs into channels 1 & 2 respectively.

5) Refer to Para 5.10 and set Elevon mode on Tx. 6) Use channel 4 (LH lever side to side) for rudder and Channel 3 (LH lever up / down) for any other function needing proportional control. I am using it for the centre brushed motor. This means that my control levers, which had previously had throttle on the LH lever and rudder on the right are now totally changed.

There is also an article in the March edition of Model Boats that explains the concept.

alfred wynne-jones07/07/2020 12:46:43
2 forum posts

Hi guys, many thanks for the "steer" in the right direction,

The Tx "V tail" options as outlined by Harry above is the answer

A: AHEAD = 50% ON 2&4 ALSO 100% -VE ON 3
B:left/ right =100 +VE ON 1
C: 2&4 AHEAD ASTERN
D:Tank steering with 2 as STBD
Many thanks for the "steer" - the Vtail option as Harry explains the the simplest option thanks now

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor