By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Keel clamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Beeney29/06/2020 11:20:43
16 forum posts

Hi all need some advice would anyone recommend a keel clamp to hold the model steady when working on it and if so any recommendations

Thanks Paul

Ray Wood 229/06/2020 11:39:28
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Paul,

You didn't respond to any of the suggestions made here last October when you posted the same question, what would you be expecting this time ??

Regards Ray

Paul Beeney29/06/2020 11:48:15
16 forum posts

Good manners to start but to answer your question as you get older you may find yourself forgetting things

Dave Milbourn29/06/2020 13:50:33
3995 forum posts
282 photos
Posted by Paul Beeney on 29/06/2020 11:48:15:

Good manners to start but to answer your question as you get older you may find yourself forgetting things

I think I might just forget to read any more of your posts, Mr Beeney.

Paul T29/06/2020 14:10:44
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

Paul

Something like a workmate would be ideal for clamping a keel but I would advise against doing this as when working on your boat you will be putting excessive lateral stress on the keel.

The keel could break under these loads and ruin your boat.

A better method is to use an old quilt or eiderdown, fold the quilt into a rectangle and use it as a soft support for the bottom of the entire hull.

But in my experience a custom made frame is the best way of fully supporting your boat whilst working on it.

I hope this helps with your problem

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 29/06/2020 14:15:08

Paul T29/06/2020 14:54:59
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

Paul

I might have misunderstood what you planned to use the clamp for, I presumed that your model was complete and that you were carrying out maintenance.

However for a build of a traditional sailing vessel a keel clamp is necessary but I wouldn't bother with the expense of buying one as I would simply make my own using two lengths of 75mm x 15mm (one fixed to the building board and the other loose) and bolting them together to form a long clamp.

Something like this one from Mantua LINK but without the fancy flanges

8155_lrg.jpg{w=379}.th.jpg

If you post some photos of your build I will be able to help out a little more.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 29/06/2020 15:00:08

Paul Beeney29/06/2020 19:12:53
16 forum posts

Thanks Paul that sounds a great idea something to do this week

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor