HMS PORCHESTER CASTLE

SCRATCH BUILD - PLANK ON FRAME

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John W E28/06/2020 11:22:46
263 forum posts
257 photos

Hi

This is the beginning of a build which has been on the back burners of 'to do' for a long time. Its about time I did it - the Model is 1:48 scale and the plans I am using are from Norman Ough with the aid of several online articles plus a book Castle Class Corvettes composed by Norman Goodwin and edited by Steve Bush - ISBN No, 9781904459279.

The frames have been cut from 5 mm Birch plywood.

The keel is also made from 5 mm plywood - Birch again.

She has roughly 6 stringers per side - this aides for the diagonal planking. For those who haven't double diagonally planked - a round-bilged hull - the main thing to remember is the more stringers you have, the easier it is to hold the planks and to create the correct radius shape on the build. The other thing is - don't make the planks too wide - as if you make them too wide, as you bend the planks around they tend to try and lift away from the hull.

If you look at the pic, I have indicated where the plank is trying to twist away from the hull.

So, this the build so far…..

Edited By John W E on 28/06/2020 11:23:29

John W E28/06/2020 11:24:08
263 forum posts
257 photos

dscn1102.jpgdscn1100.jpgdscn1097.jpg

John W E28/06/2020 11:41:43
263 forum posts
257 photos

I forgot to mention in my previous posting - the planking material is Obechi - 9 mm x 1 mm . The overall length of the model will be 63 inches (approx.) Roughly 9 inches beam.

The glue I am using is Aliphatic wood glue. I prefer this to trying to use superglue as with the Aliphatic glue it gives a bit of 'wiggle' time to put the plank in the correct position. You don't end up with your fingers glues to the planks.

The other thing is I plank - 10 planks either side at a time - and the way I do it - I plank 5 planks forward and 5 planks back over from the pre-laid planks. This I believe reduced the stress build up because as the glue dries and the planks dry out - they tend of shrink and tend to pull the framework. (That's my excuse anyway)

John

Ray Wood 228/06/2020 12:39:32
1908 forum posts
681 photos

Hello John,

Thanks for starting this blog, that's a lot of planks 😀 and will make a hull to be proud of. I've never used aliphatic glue because it sounded expensive ?? I use Gorilla white glue for most thing cheap from Wilko's 👍

Regards Ray

ashley needham28/06/2020 18:11:10
6475 forum posts
218 photos

Great pictures John.

ALSO....Great pictures of why I don`t do plank on frame!

Keep up the good work. I would never have the patience.

Ashley

Brian Dickinson 128/06/2020 20:20:42
214 forum posts
125 photos

I am with Ashley on that one, i currently have two yachts in build, chine and plank and i have stalled with both.

I have tried all sorts of glue starting with balsa cement when i was about 10. On my plank on frame waiting for the aliphatic to dry was a pain, Ray suggested Balsa cement to speed things up (full circle).

I do chop and change a lot as to what i get bored with, but i will try to keep an eye on this one as those curves look a challenge. Vic Smeed made a Maga Dan a long time ago and that was all planked (i think?) i sais i would have a go at one one day but have never got there.

Bri

Colin Bishop28/06/2020 20:23:32
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Deluxe Superphatic is an alternative to aliphatic and superglues. Not cheap but it is quick and works very well.

Colin

neil howard-pritchard28/06/2020 20:40:56
1436 forum posts
683 photos

where do you buy yours from Colin.

Colin Bishop28/06/2020 20:51:53
4469 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Neil,

Recently from Leeds Model Shop

**LINK**

but I think others sell it for much the same.

As well as excellent wood to wood bonds it does also stick efectively between porous and non porou surfaces.such as wood to plastic and the water cleanup makes it nice to use with no residue.

I am allergic to nornal cyano so it is a good alternative for me.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 28/06/2020 20:52:23

Ray Wood 228/06/2020 21:28:20
1908 forum posts
681 photos

Hi Brian,

When I'm planking I pin everything in place so glue drying not an issue, then fill the pin holes with filled 😀

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor