Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fairmile D - help needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Hepworth 115/06/2020 01:35:38
10 forum posts

Hi all

I'm building a 1/24 scale Fairmile D.

Everything going fine so far but i've hit a snag which, hopefully, the more experienced can advise me on.

The Fairmile D superstructure is quite a modest affair and therefore the hole in the deck it conceals is quite small and gives limited access when removed. There's enough access to change batteries and get at the electronics but, if I needed to replace a motor, i'd be snookered.

Question is.....do you folk ever fit the deck and hope nothing fails, or is there a more cunning way of retaining access. Is there a practical way of making the whole deck removable and, if so, how do you make the 'seam' invisible?

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Ray Wood 215/06/2020 07:32:13
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi David,

It rather depends how far you have progressed with the build ? Large areas of the deck can be built in situ with sub frames at an early stage, more difficult if the deck has camber on it, I use this method with cling film so the deck/hatch can be removed after construction.

I never had a motor fail so far, but normally test the drive set up early on to make sure all is well 😄

Good luck with the build, and welcome to the forum 👍

Any pictures of your build will be welcome.

Regards Ray

ashley needham15/06/2020 07:57:40
6498 forum posts
224 photos

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

Like Ray, i find that the motors tend to last, its access to the motor/prop connection (u/j or whatever) is more likely the trouble. Also if you need to change the prop you need to hold the other end of the shaft.

Similarly the steering gear, access thereof.

No chance of hiding ahatch under a ....something...raft/gun and so=on?

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 15/06/2020 07:58:32

Malcolm Frary15/06/2020 09:51:40
873 forum posts

There is quite a lot of gear on the aft deck, which should be very amenable to hiding the join of a removable panel. Also good for hiding the screw heads holding it down on its gasket. Anything mechanical is, at some time, going to need access for attention.

Ray Wood 215/06/2020 10:18:22
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi David,

This is the access for Mtb 71, there is a screwed down panel at the stern for the deck mounted rudder servo.

The centre hatch is where the engines are on the fullsize, my planking joints are so bad you couldn't see the join 😄

Regards Rayimg_20200615_101045.jpg

Dave Cooper 615/06/2020 11:01:59
153 forum posts
14 photos

On my little RAF Rescue launch (1/48 scale). I made the main superstructure removable. Space is quite tight inside...

This gives access to Rx, motor, coupling, top end of shaft, speed controller and LiPo (battery pack). Rudder access and servo linkage was more difficult. I fitted a separate screw down hatch at the stern for this at a later date.

It was easier for me as, being an own design, I made a lot of it up a I went along....I wouldn't worry too much about deck joins etc showing as once it's out on the water you won't be able to see them !

Have fun,

Dave C

harry smith 115/06/2020 11:43:15
1022 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi David

A flush deck setup like I made for my Corona Cabin Cruiser works very well.

Checkout my Albums on lift out decks.

I first did this setup on my Eileen fishing boat which has limited space as per your boat.

Harry Smith

AKA Canabus

David Hepworth 116/06/2020 08:23:15
10 forum posts

I'm thinking an 'aft' deck hatch is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice

-Ray Wood "...my planking joints are so bad you couldn't see the join" smiley

-Dave Cooper "I wouldn't worry too much about deck joins etc showing as once it's out on the water you won't be able to see them !" wise words.

David Hepworth 116/06/2020 08:46:06
10 forum posts

Next thing...

I'm running with 4 props & 4 motors (brushed Graupner 600 Eco).

I currently have them all on a single ESC. This works fine on the bench but i'm reading about folk that split port & starboard motors off different ESCs, and using differential throttle to help with slow speed steering.

Would I see much benefit from this or is it over the top?

If so, would you recommend just doing it off two joysticks or using a 'rudder mixer'?

Thanks

Dave

Ray Wood 216/06/2020 09:27:28
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Dave,

This must be quite a large model with 4 X 600 motors ?? 60" ?

I can never see the benefit of separate throttles for normal boating, the real thing would have used the rudders I guess most of the time 😄

Keep us posted it sounds like an interesting build.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/06/2020 09:28:06

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor