Yacht Ardent

New sailing project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 210/06/2020 22:04:52
1982 forum posts
707 photos

Hi Dave,

Don't worry about sail making, Frank Parsons of Nylet will make you a Dacron set very reasonably, no real reason to have a motor on a yacht, they come in eventually 😄

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 611/06/2020 10:54:46
163 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks Ray - that's reassuring. I'm probably being over-cautious !

Coming back to lathes, is yours an ML7 ? I don't think I'll have room for a floor-mounted model, but, I'm currently looking for a bench-top one. About 2-3 foot between centres and 7.5" swing over the bed....any recommendations ?

Cheers for now,

Dave

Ray Wood 211/06/2020 11:44:05
1982 forum posts
707 photos

Hi Dave,

Yes my pride & joy is the Myford Super 7 with the screw cutting gearbox, which I'm not clever enough and don't need to use for screw cutting 😄

The next size down Myford is the ML 10 which is popular with model engineers, but not much of a gap.

The cheaper Chinese machines are fine I don't think hold there value, but they are cheaper to start with 😉

The basic ML 7 is fine, I sold one a couple of years ago for £300 but it was well worn.

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster11/06/2020 12:17:58
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi,Dave, there is a sail plan on the drawings, and as Ray says if you are sailing on water that you have access all round there is no need for a motor. I cut my sail making teeth on the Ardent sails using the cheapest cotton bed sheets from Dunelm, but again as Ray has said Frank Parsons will be only too pleased to help you using the sail dimensions on the drawing, when you get to making the mast I can let you know how I have made several of mine using aluminium tube from B&Q.

Regards.

Eddie.

Dave Cooper 611/06/2020 15:36:59
163 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks both. I guess the next stage is to buy the plan from Sarik.

Eddie - I'll come back to you at 'mast time' - I have quite a stock of aluminium tubing now as currently making the rear wing spars for my sportscar. Is the mast likely to be taller than 1 metre ? If so, I'll need to make a join somewhere...

Regards,

Dave

Eddie Lancaster11/06/2020 17:43:09
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi Dave, the tube that I am using one size will fit into the next size up allowing you to make up any length required and to build in fittings such as cross trees and sail attachment points without drilling through the tube.

Regards.

Eddie.

Malcolm Frary12/06/2020 10:14:10
892 forum posts

Rule of thumb for mast height - about 1 1/2 times the boat length for a Bermuda rig will look about right and work. About the boat length for a gaff rig.

Having the spreader built into the joining splint works well. It means that the rigging not only does the job of keeping the mast vertical, it also braces it straight. An aluminium knitting needle about 3mm diameter makes a good spreader. Strong enough to do the job, wide enough to have a hole drilled each end to take the rigging lines.

Eddie Lancaster12/06/2020 14:11:08
695 forum posts
526 photos

These are the fittings for my Ardent, the mast is 10mm. OD x 8mm. ID, the joining tube is 8mm. OD, the fittings are made with 10mm. brass bar with pieces of brass silver soldered into slots and a piece of brass tube for the spreader fitted into a hole drilled through the bar, each piece was then put in the three jaw chuck on the lathe and drilled through 8mm. to fit the 8mm. ally tube, the main10mm. tube then fits top and bottom of the fitting held in place with a spot of cyno.

dscf0548.jpg

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 12/06/2020 14:14:37

Ray Wood 212/06/2020 17:02:20
1982 forum posts
707 photos

Hi All,

I fabricate the same sort of fittings for the mast & gooseneck for the boom from brass, but I use 6mm od diameter carbon fibre tube for the mast which is black, which as many yachts of the 70's & 80's had black anodized masts so a spray over the fittings of satin black looks good, the mast on Comanche is 1 metre tall.

Regards Rayimg_20200612_151618.jpg

Dave Cooper 613/06/2020 10:44:47
163 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks all for the info',

I knew a lathe would be useful somewhere along the line !

I found that machining carbon fibre needs a good dust collection system otherwise my shelves etc get covered in fine carbon dust...whereas, with good old-fashioned ali' and brass I can get away with a dust pan and brush.

Not tried silver soldering yet but, have just bought a new TIG machine to try out...maybe on very low amps ? Otherwise, a butane /propane torch and the right flux and solder ?

Regards,

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor