Yacht Ardent

New sailing project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 610/06/2020 10:39:43
153 forum posts
14 photos

Hi Folks,

Decided to go 'where the wind blows' for my next boat project..

A couple of challenges though :-

1. Quite like the look of "Yacht Ardent" which I think, originally, was a Model Maker plan. I have, previously, seen this on Sarik's website, but, the name "Ardent" seems to now refer to a different model (a tug ?).

2. Would quite like a quote from a laser-cut kit supplier to take said plan and deliver a kit (at least for the hull). Preferably, someone with boat experience !

So, if anyone could supply the MM plan code, (assuming it's a Model Maker one), I could try and run that by Sarik unless, perhaps, someone has a plan for sale maybe ?

Thanks for any assistance,

Dave C

Ray Wood 210/06/2020 12:20:17
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Dave,

Have a look at Eddie's Ardent build, albums page 12 ........ Ardent & other boats

Eddie's usual fine work from beginning to On the water 😄

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster10/06/2020 12:27:57
694 forum posts
526 photos

As usual Ray out of the trap like a greyhound. Hi, Dave the Sarik plan No. is SKU MAR 3022.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 210/06/2020 12:35:06
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Eddie,

It's raining here, and probably at Broadstairs? Teaching grandson no.1 George a few tips On the Myford this morning 😎

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster10/06/2020 15:05:21
694 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. Ray, no rain here at the moment, it’s cloudy and quite cool, it must e nice to have someone to pass on all your knowledge to, I am still hopeful that I maybe able to interest my grandson in something other than his games console.

Regards.

Eddie.

Dave Cooper 610/06/2020 15:33:10
153 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks both. I see SLEC and Sarik are advertising on the columns to the right of the posting windows.....

I believe SLEC do kits based on supplied plans for aircraft, so, will try them.

Eddie - does Ardent sail well ?

Ray - do you have any spare capacity on your Myford ? I'm looking for a lathe (and Mill drill) at present but not having much luck on the more affordable used market.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Cooper 610/06/2020 15:50:01
153 forum posts
14 photos

Eddie - "MAR 3022" seems to relate to a group of plans on Sarik's website (about 5 pages worth), but, 'Ardent' was not amongst them ? This result was using their Search Box under 'Boat Builder Plans' section.

Bit of a puzzle ?

Dave Cooper 610/06/2020 15:57:08
153 forum posts
14 photos

Just found it ! "Under Sailing Boats and Yachts" (155) - with your SKU. - Most bizzare !

I think they need to work on their database search facility...

Dave

Eddie Lancaster10/06/2020 18:23:18
694 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. Dave, I am very pleased with how she sails, for a scale yacht, even in quite strong winds, it took me a while to get the sails right, I had a lot of help from people on this forum, and I am sure you will get the same help and advice if you need it.

Regards.

Eddie.

Dave Cooper 610/06/2020 21:40:03
153 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks Eddie - a few further queries if you don't mind...

I've asked SLEC to quote for a laser-cut kit, but, on looking at your build thread there doesn't seem to be all that much cutting out to do - at least for the hull frames ?

I'm a bit nervous about making the sails though. Is this covered on the plan /article ?

Also, I'd like to experiment with vane steering and Arduino control at some point. Others have commented that I'll probably need a 'Y' shaped backstay to achieve this. However, I'll probably start with conventional RC initially.

One other thing I'd like is to have a small motor with folding prop as a 'get-out-of-jail' option mid-lake. I think Dave M suggested (in another thread) that Graupner used to do an all-in-one motor /shaft /prop unit that seems ideal...

Any views /experiences here most helpful,

Cheers,

Dave C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor