Forum sponsored by Dremel

BRUTUS MK 11

Axe Head ship of the future

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell12/06/2020 21:14:05
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

What are you on about, ...Chief Designer.,........I haven't got any wood at all now, and hardboard is keeping the build going

It looks OK to me

Bob

ashley needham13/06/2020 07:51:10
6572 forum posts
144 photos

Bob. The hardboard will be fine, just make sure it is well sealed. Use thinned undercoat first etc.

In theory, if you steam it, it will bend to fit some of your curves. In fact, if you had a mould, it is just possible that you could press it into shape(s).....?

Ashley

Bob Abell13/06/2020 08:51:21
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Thanks Ashley

I`m quite happy with the hardboard strips, the Evostik is doing a great job and it sets like concrete

It`s quite rewarding building a boat out of recycled materials

I`m about to order the 1mm plywood now, then it will take off!

Bob

Bob Abell13/06/2020 10:19:34
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Latest picture of the epic stringer build

It feels very strong now and looking forward to the ply sheeting exercise shortly

Bob

looking good.jpg

Bob Abell14/06/2020 08:59:27
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

More progress pictures. I realise they all look the same lately, but progress is slow but sure!

Now we`ve come to the Transom area, going off the last build, I recall, we had a problem at this end Mm?

Will to get the old pix out

Paul...….Is the latest Transom frame correct?

The stringer notches look suspicious

Bob

transum piece.jpg

transum end.jpg

Edited By Bob Abell on 14/06/2020 09:06:17

Ray Wood 214/06/2020 10:02:28
1979 forum posts
705 photos

Hi Bob,

I think you maybe building a Thames slipper launch, it looks similar 😄

Keep going you will get there 👍

Regards Ray

Paul T14/06/2020 19:48:31
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Bob

I'm sorry to say that I am not sure as it was so long ago

But after extensive research on the dark web and at great personal cost I have found part of an amazing and mystical archive that is full of construction photos and might just be the answer to your problem.

These images clearly shows the part in question and how the builder overcame these problems, if only we knew who this master builder was as his full archive could answer all of your questions.

487810.jpg

488624.jpg

487834.jpg

489450.jpg

489568.jpg

Bob Abell14/06/2020 20:53:57
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Thanks Paul

I already have your photos

I'll just struggle through and sort it out

Bob

Paul T15/06/2020 13:07:24
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Bob

I do remember some discussion about the transom when you built the first one, in retrospect I should have given the stern greater depth but at the time I had a fixation on making the stern appear to slide into the water.

Like Ray said it was very much like a slipper launch.

There is a possibility that I changed the design of the stern in order to overcome construction problems but these changes would have been picked up on the drawings that you are using.

I will go back to the thread that covered the original build and see what was said and done but meanwhile could you explain what you mean by The stringer notches look suspicious? Are they too big, too small, in the wrong location or just baffling

Paul

Bob Abell15/06/2020 13:24:48
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hi Paul

I`ve got it sorted out now

Not much of a problem, the problem was caused by me thinking the sponson shape was correct

The notches on the sponson were such that they rested on top of the upper stringer

Anyway, see my latest progress photo

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor