Axe Head ship of the future

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T10/06/2020 19:17:38
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Hello Chief Designer Bob

As you have figured out the original breast plates were a belt and braces answer to reinforcing the vertical bow.

Back when I designed the hull the calculations showed that the curved connector between stem and keel should have been sufficient to support the stem post and resist collapse if the boat had a high speed impact

But then I recalculated the forces based upon the possible future changes involved with a larger engines (2 x 32cc) and decided to add the extra strength of the horizontal plates.

Paul

Bob Abell11/06/2020 07:45:33
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hi Chaps

It was nice to see that the glued joints had set rock hard this morning!

Now we seem to be making meaningful progress at last

I would also like to see a few comments, good or I bad, regarding the progress so far, please?

I'm still thinking about the rudder up front, just to see how it behaves?

This type of ship is meant to charge about on fast straight courses and not spin about like a steering comp model?

Bob

ashley needham11/06/2020 10:17:42
6572 forum posts
144 photos

Bob. I probably commented on the original build....but..this one is coming along. What exactly did you use for stringers??

What motors are you going to use. 2x32cc petrol motors were some serious designed power (love to that going)

Ashley

Paul T11/06/2020 10:49:40
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Captain Bob

Yes this hull is designed for running at high speed in straight lines, to quote my favourite author, looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow.

Ashley

They were a pair of matched strimmer engines with big racing props and the calcs showed a potential of 28m/s (just over 100kph) but I got bogged down in working out how to keep the two air-cooled engines from overheating.

Paul

Bob Abell11/06/2020 11:00:42
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hi there Ashley

At the moment I`ve used pairs of very flexible HARD BOARD stringers, with 1/16 th plywood back up

Further space filling will follow where required

I won`t be doing a shoddy job

Paul.....I don`t wish to charge about, there are enough complaints from the public about incidents with the native wild life already

I hope to produce a model just as Paul has portrayed it on his Magazine article

A futuristic Battleship

Bob

Bob Abell11/06/2020 16:41:06
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

It`s more progress but slow progress now

Glueing the stringers in place and reinforcing them

I`m using EVO-STIK Exterior wood glue and it seems to be OK for the purpose

Bob

slow progress.jpg

Ray Wood 211/06/2020 17:21:56
1979 forum posts
705 photos

Hi Bob,

Keep up the good work, I think you should consider putting the bow rudder on the stem like the double ended paddle tug Aid as described in the ME years ago 😄 this would act like a canard on an aeroplane 👍

Regards Ray

Bob Abell11/06/2020 17:29:51
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Thanks Ray

I shall be doing something like you suggest

It must work, but the turning circle may be larger than normal

In fact, I`m looking forward to the outcome

On Brutus MK1, there wasn`t enough vertical space to fit a watertight rudder

Bob

Bob Abell12/06/2020 09:36:43
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Close up of the stringer layers

Four laminated layers equal 12 mm, which looks about right?

Bob

stringer layers.jpg

Paul T12/06/2020 17:23:17
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Hello Bob

Now that you are carrying the mantle of Chief Designer you will have to be more precise about your measurements,

Four laminated layers equal 12 mm

You haven't included the glue between the laminations wink

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor