Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell06/06/2020 09:49:11
8925 forum posts
2814 photos

brutus mk 11.jpg

Decided to have another go at Paul Thomason`s famous Brutus model

Brutus 1 was designed by Paul in 2014 and was a very interesting build

The design was outrageous at the time, being an Axe Head type of ship

The sharp Axe edged bows allowed the ship to cut through the waves, rather than climb over the waves

Made a start by cutting out the formers, using Hardboard, which feels suitable for the task, having no other materials in stock

Will have to venture out into the wild world shortly, in search of wood supplies

Bob

Edited By Bob Abell on 06/06/2020 09:52:39

ashley needham06/06/2020 10:04:50
6666 forum posts
160 photos

In what direction will the Brutus 2 be different to version 1 Bob??

With experimental or non-conformist type vessels there are always things I would do differently the second time.

Propulsion perhaps???

Ashley

Bob Abell06/06/2020 10:34:13
8925 forum posts
2814 photos

Ashley

Paul redesigned Brutus about two years ago. And it appeared in The ModelBoats Magazine

It is very simolar to the original, but he added weapon features, torpedos and Chain guns etc and more super structure

I shall fit Brushless motors for starters and whatever comes to mind, any suggestions?

Bob

Paul T06/06/2020 10:54:27
7163 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello Captain Bob

Here is the final version of the original Brutus

The hull has the potential for quite high speeds and would suit water jet propulsion

brutus 30th 11.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your new take on this design.

Paul

Bob Abell06/06/2020 11:12:18
8925 forum posts
2814 photos

Hello Paul

Having finished the MTB model and having got back some of my old enthusiasm and fixed the motor drives on the other models etc...….I was scuppered with nothing to do!

I thought about a kit, for an easy life, but didn`t fancy it really, then I found the ModelBoats Mag with your latest Brutus build. Having a few pieces of hardboard hanging about, my fate was sealed!

So I got back into the old routine

So here we go, boys

Bob

brutus start.jpg

Edited By Bob Abell on 06/06/2020 11:19:21

Paul T06/06/2020 11:24:17
7163 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Bob

After all of the trouble with the rudders I would advise changing the stern and give the transom some extra depth.

Paul

Cookie06/06/2020 15:42:32
117 forum posts

Great news Bob , Keen to watch your progress with the build .

Regards Dave

Bob Abell06/06/2020 15:56:58
8925 forum posts
2814 photos

Hello Dave

Where have you been lately?

Welcome to the Forum anyway, Cookie

Message for Paul...….

How`s this for an idea?...…...With having two motors, why have a rudder anyway?

Could use Tank Steering?

Bob

Paul T06/06/2020 16:14:38
7163 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello Captain Bob

Tank steering is a good idea

Paul

Bob Abell06/06/2020 16:39:08
8925 forum posts
2814 photos

Hi Paul, I also think that a rudder up front would work, the gun above could pivot on the same axis?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor