Forum sponsored by Dremel

Mintanic

Mini-Titanic.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham19/07/2020 14:41:52
6592 forum posts
145 photos

OK. Santa Rosa ion all its glory. Not quite such a nice sunny day but there we are.

Features of note; White masting, black uppers to rear masting. Fiddly row of lifeboats, and finally....the swimming pool! Complete with poolside tables and umbrellas.....

Ashley

img_4972.jpg

img_4968.jpg

img_4966.jpg

img_4991.jpg

Edited By ashley needham on 19/07/2020 14:43:26

Chris E19/07/2020 16:09:47
102 forum posts

Nicely done with smile friendly features. I wonder which top you will find yourself taking to the pond.

Can you still assemble all 4 of them or have you altered existing bits as you have progressed?

PS I'll grab the orange sunshade nearest the bar.

ashley needham19/07/2020 18:14:52
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Cheers Chris. The Titanic and Paris tops fit in the actual hull box, the other two tops are in a custom adapted corrugated card box.All can be fitted to the hull, so all can be taken to the pond. Interestingly it is still a Titanic to the public despite the wildly differing looks!

As with all these sorts of ongoing builds, it seems to me that the more tops you do, the better they get. Not better (as in more detailed) per se, but better as you find more and more interesting vessels to represent

I found an advertising poster regarding the SR which showed the swimming pool, a feature seemingly absent on previously found-snaps. I presume this was added later on when passenger revenue overtook cargo rev. I have done no more research...one look was enough. The pool and grossly oversized (drawing pin) ‘shades are fun. I may have some 1/200 figures I can paint pink all over and add....

Ashley

Colin Bishop19/07/2020 18:54:34
4517 forum posts
6067 photos
398 articles

Ashley,

It was a common practice to convert the after hold hatch into a swimming pool. Sometimes it was just a temporary canvas thing but more permanant arrangements were also made.

Looks nice anyway!

Colin

ashley needham20/07/2020 18:06:03
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Ah Colin, U R a mine of boating information really and truly. Stick a tarp over the cargo hatch and fill with seawater. Perfect. Explains why the cargo posts were still present in the postcard picture.

Open to suggestions for another top....

Obviously has to suit the passenger/cargo ship vibe (man), and needs to have something to distinguish it from the other tops....funnels, masts, vents or whatever. Be nice to have a different colour and even shaped funnel. We have buff, red, blue and green so far. Black might not look so good unless striped with something or in a different arrangement, ie, side by side or something?

Ashley

gecon20/07/2020 22:25:30
188 forum posts
185 photos

Brings back old memories.....

In 'the old days' ca 1952-1962, my family travelled to and from Hong Kong and Liverpool on the Blue Funnel Line ships. They carried mostly cargo but also from 10 to 22 passengers depending on which ship it was.

The top of the aft hold was converted to a swimming pool by use of a huge tarpaulin -as soon as we had survived the Bay of Biscay and the west coast of Spain / Portugal.

Ashley's example is rather grander than the one's on the Blue Funnel Line!

George

Edited By George Edward Connery on 20/07/2020 22:27:41

Chris E21/07/2020 10:32:03
102 forum posts
Posted by ashley needham on 20/07/2020 18:06:03:

.......................Open to suggestions for another top....

Obviously has to suit the passenger/cargo ship vibe (man), and needs to have something to distinguish it from the other tops....funnels, masts, vents or whatever. Be nice to have a different colour and even shaped funnel. We have buff, red, blue and green so far. Black might not look so good unless striped with something or in a different arrangement, ie, side by side or something?

Ashley

The obvious design type that you haven't covered is the Southern Cross, Canberra type although I am not sure how they would work with your base structure.

Are there any vintage passenger ships with side by side funnels?

Edited By Chris E 1 on 21/07/2020 10:35:08

Bob Wilson21/07/2020 20:21:06
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Swimming pool.

In the photograph below, the swimming pool on the left aboard the RMS Edinburgh Castle, on the after tourist deck, appears as a normal outdoor pool with rails and wood surround, whilst at sea. In port, the canvas lining was removed and the steel bottom hinged upward revealing the cargo hold that lay beneath it.. From a certain angle, when working cargo, it was possible to take a photograph looking down into the gaping hold, and include in the frame the red notice "It is dangerous to dive!" surprise

edinburgh castle deck.jpg

ashley needham23/07/2020 08:23:51
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Good picture Bob. You wouldn’t know it wasn’t a fixed pool looking at that! Presumably a blue tarp?

The tarp dad had to make us temporary pools at home was a faded patchy/patched up green. It’s what I always think of when the word is mentioned!

Ashley

Bob Wilson23/07/2020 09:45:30
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Yes, as far as I can remember it was a blue tarp. Although we were essentially a passenger liner, with hundreds of 1st class and tourist class passengers, we carried thousands of tons of cargo as well. The 1st class swimming pool was inside the ship, quite low down and forward of the funnel.

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor