Forum sponsored by Dremel

Mintanic

Mini-Titanic.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Fellows23/06/2020 17:59:37
695 forum posts
409 photos

Lake looks good Ashley. Following the rain is everything Ok now?

Chris

ashley needham23/06/2020 18:37:58
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Perhaps I was giving a false sense of the state of the lake with my muttering. It has always looked good, just the water levels and silting up.

Following the rain it seems to have topped up the lake (and we are only talking 2 or so inches here) and although the silt is still there you can’t see it so much now!

Small 25mm prop has been partially successful...the boat is not quite so quick, and I am going to leave it as it is for now.

Rolling is not so bad, but with balsa stringers inside the botTom coroners I don’t want to start grinding corners off to fit bilge keels.

One more top to be made with two funnels and this project will be finis.

Ashley

ashley needham24/06/2020 08:49:46
6592 forum posts
145 photos

nice! a few more in the Mintanic album.

img_4779.jpg

img_4770.jpg

img_4783.jpg

img_4784.jpg

img_4786.jpg

img_4829.jpg

Chris E24/06/2020 11:49:30
103 forum posts

Model looking really good - you have certainly captured the "feeling".

I checked for a top deck with 2 funnels hidden in the pictures.

As I said before, and I do realize the lack of a size reference, she just looks larger on the water in the pictures than her 23ins.

Size references in model pictures never help the illusion.

Edited By Chris E 1 on 24/06/2020 11:51:53

ashley needham24/06/2020 21:21:39
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Cheers Chris. No hidden extra deck yet! Yes, the one I have of it next to a duck rather spoils it.

I have settled on a last top with one much larger blue funnel, having searched for pictures of boats with a blue funnel, the clever googly thing came up with steamers from the.....wait for it....

BLUE FUNNEL LINE !!!

A couple in particular are good match approximately the centre deck arrangement I have and are of a similar vintage. The single large funnel will give the impression of a smaller ship, and the defining feature will be the rugby goalpost style crane derricks.

Working on it.

Ashley

ashley needham25/06/2020 17:42:10
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Crane/Derrick setup made for the Blue funnel top...name not yet decided.....and looking good!

Funnel made (25mm dowel) and Blue paint drying, Humbrol, probably be dry enough for 2nd coat after tea time.

Hatches made, and cowl vents ordered. I will not be even attempting to make a dozen cowl vents, tootricky, in fact too tricky at any size. If I only had two big ones to make I might try I suppose.

Lifeboats and bridge will be last to do as they will rather set the apparent scale of the boat, and as this is a much smaller ship than the other two (tops) I need to be careful in order to make it look smaller.

The shed is wonderfully cool, and I have been in it with the door shut to keep out the heat although the paint has still been drying ridiculously fast.

Ashley.

ashley needham27/06/2020 16:22:23
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Bottom of Mintanic now gloss red..only the first coat yet, but it has covered very well.

Made the third funnel for my single funnel Blue Funnel ship..first was cut to lean at 5 degrees, when it should have been dead upright. Second upright but too short......

Bridge sorted despite wot I said earlier, as I saw a bit of Mahogany laying there and the colour and size of it suddenly showed me the way. Lifeboats next to suit the bridge scale...tricky.

Ashley

Bob Abell27/06/2020 16:37:23
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Hi Ashley

Despite being a super simple build, the visual impact is quite attractive!

Well done son

Bob

ashley needham28/06/2020 08:04:04
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Thanks Bob.

Thats how I like ‘em...simple but effective.

Ashley

ashley needham28/06/2020 18:00:14
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Snaps...red bottom. Ashley (not me, the boat)

img_4862.jpg

img_4882.jpg

img_4887.jpg

img_4888.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor