Forum sponsored by Dremel

Mintanic

Mini-Titanic.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kip Woods16/06/2020 22:27:56
266 forum posts
35 photos

Ashley, may I draw your attention to the site of the foremost authority on flags etc. .....

College of Arms

..... they use the term "must", so somebody somewhere, at sometime, must have made a ruling.

Your guess is as good as mine. wink

ashley needham16/06/2020 22:58:12
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Fair enough Kip. I sit corrected. However if I make one I cant guarantee a wide white stripe either above or below the red one!

Ashley

Chris E17/06/2020 07:27:48
112 forum posts

Ashley

Absolutely agree that the extra lines make all the difference & yes distance does change things. Now I can see why you have time for all this modelling. laugh

Only the UK could have a flag that most of us don't know if it is the right way up.

Tim Rowe17/06/2020 07:56:42
405 forum posts
440 photos

The story on the Union Flag goes something like this:

Private - Which way up does it go Sarge?

Sarge - Idiot, it is symmetrical so doesn't matter.

Major - We can't have some idiot put the flag upside down

King - Make a broader white stripe at the top near the pole so we know which way is up.

Extraordinarily British!

Tim R

ashley needham17/06/2020 09:16:27
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Cut the offending article off and trimmed it a bit...however the flags have not been stuck on the cocktail stick evenly so one side is uneven. Ho hum. I could check the rest as some will be ok but..

The American flag it should have is too complicated to simplify and hand-do, so.....I may buy some American flag cocktail sticks and cut one of them down..yes, that’s the solution!

Looks like a nice day to test the Mintanic.

Chris. I had already planned to put the lower line on, but it struck me that there are other decks that could be simulated with another stripe. The “gallery” was also planned and is again pinstripe tape after a flash of inspiration (I was going to mask and paint it on) but there it was already on the roll!

QM coming on well.

Ashley

ashley needham18/06/2020 18:03:55
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Popped to Wickes this morning as it was raining to get 4mm ply for a box and the next boat...

Am trying to resist building a box for the Mintanic and it’s alternative top as I am a bit worried it will be a bit wobbly on the water and require some bilge keels which of course then won’t fit in the carefully tailored box!

Have cut sanded and am painting another 20 small lifeboats, have “super detailed” the Mintanic with the application of a few more lines and windows on the rear face of the superstructure. Would like to have put some lines on the front but the sides do not quite match. The pinstripe was done “by eye” and the difference is minor (and doesn’t matter as you can only see one side at a time) but stops me joining them together levelly on the front!

Ashley

ashley needham19/06/2020 17:11:23
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Nice.

img_4687.jpg

img_4691.jpg

img_4690.jpg

img_4688.jpg

Chris E20/06/2020 07:20:14
112 forum posts

I like light hearted models & this is a goodun.

Is there going to be a 2 funnel (QE?) variant?

ashley needham20/06/2020 08:19:04
6612 forum posts
153 photos

Cheers Chris. Exactly what it was meant to be.

I had called this my “Queen Mary” top, but that clever Sir Colin pointed out that the SS Paris bears perhaps an even stronger resemblance to the top, but having googled liners from that period, it looks like many of the three funnelled types. They differ mostly in the detail, and of course detail is what I am missing here.

With a slightly different repaint on 4 funnels it could quite easily become the Lusitania, or the Olympic of course with just the addition of a few more lifeboats!

i may make a 2 funnel top just so there is a visible difference between the 4 and 3 funnel types. I shall look for something with funnels other than Yellow Ochre, red, or black (as black is boring). Suggestions here please!

Ashley

Chris E20/06/2020 09:18:15
112 forum posts

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.

There is plenty of choice if you remove the yellow, red & black funnel restrictions. The United States and La France both had "interesting" funnels but the colour...........

Plenty of interesting funnels (like Norway in her blue funnel years) had non black hulls.

Sticking to your requirements there are obviously the Blue Funnel fleet, although they tended to be smaller, and the Red Star line which with something like the Westernland or the Pittsburgh also having interesting funnel shapes. Not as iconic but definitely distinctive.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor