Forum sponsored by Dremel

Mintanic

Mini-Titanic.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham06/06/2020 09:20:45
6497 forum posts
224 photos

I thought I would start this as a separate thread just so I can witter on about it and not clog up todays boating.

I was looking on `t interweb at easy build boats, for something to possibly make as a side project with the proviso of being able to fit in a carry-bag and be taken to the pond on my bike. To this end the maximum length, including box if made has to be less than 24 inches.

This came up under a schools project whereby the kiddies had to build a Titanic, from cardboard, and one of the boats caught my eye as being not only wonderfully simple and uncluttered, but looking recognisably like the Titanic (which is handy).

In my possession I have a plastic seaside toy Titanic, which although an obvious conversion of....something else...(see if you can spot it), is a good size and all of a sudden I added two and two together.

You either like this sort of thing or not. It is not even semi-scale, but appeals to me as everyone will know what it is supposed to be and it is a bit of fun. Construction will be 3.6mm ply throughout with a bit of balsa strip inside on the corners and plastic pipe for the funnels.

For those REALLY interested I have made a Mintanic album.

Edited By ashley needham on 06/06/2020 09:22:15

ashley needham06/06/2020 09:28:20
6497 forum posts
224 photos

I think the construction is self explanatory, and the only non-flat bit on the boat, the stern, has been "planked" using vertical strips of ply, trimmed and filled.

I have used superglue and waterproof ordinary PVA only so far but probably the plastic funnels will need some epoxy to hold them in place.

For access, the top deck (roof) will lift off, complete with funnels and this can be turned upside down to lessen vertical height for storage. Masts fore and aft will be plug-in.

Detail items will be lifeboats, cranes and deck hatches only.

Ashley

img_4540.jpg

The Long Build06/06/2020 10:17:52
685 forum posts
270 photos

Like it cocktail, Not Rc but a bit of fun I had for a few minutes in Lockdown , Look forward to your build.titanic.jpg

ashley needham07/06/2020 16:59:05
6497 forum posts
224 photos

I like it ! and the secret of the Mintanic will be in the detail...or lack of.

There is a fine line between adding JUST sufficient detail to achieve the look, or adding too much on something like this that is blatantly NOT to scale and making it look cluttered or even, worse case, make it look like you were trying to make a detailed model but have messed up the hull (scale wise).

Detail will be almost as above. Cranes, a few cargo hatches, masts, funnels, rear conning walkway and of course the lifeboats. Undecided yet about the form of the lifeboats....too shapely and they will look out of place, too simple and they will look crude. Crudeness is what I am avoiding. Out of scale and simple perhaps, but not crude.

Ashley

Paul T07/06/2020 18:27:26
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

Ashley

I must admit to having a 'Rip Van Winkle' moment regarding this thread as I have absolutely no idea what Mintanic is all about.

Paul

Dave Milbourn07/06/2020 18:32:18
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Go back to sleep, Doc. It's about a tenth as big as anything that might interest you.

DM

Chris E 108/06/2020 09:53:45
72 forum posts
Posted by ashley needham on 07/06/2020 16:59:05:

....................There is a fine line between adding JUST sufficient detail to achieve the look, or adding too much on something like this that is blatantly NOT to scale and making it look cluttered or even, worse case, make it look like you were trying to make a detailed model but have messed up the hull (scale wise).

Detail will be almost as above. Cranes, a few cargo hatches, masts, funnels, rear conning walkway and of course the lifeboats. Undecided yet about the form of the lifeboats....too shapely and they will look out of place, too simple and they will look crude. Crudeness is what I am avoiding. Out of scale and simple perhaps, but not crude.

Ashley

This will be interesting as "atmospehere" is so difficult. Are you thinking of the toy look with bright pristine colours or something more worn?

ashley needham08/06/2020 10:11:53
6497 forum posts
224 photos

Chris. Well, it will have a “toy “ look due to the proportions, and this is where we don’t want to over-detail the boat too much, or it starts to look like something trying to be a proper model, rather than a bit of fun. If there’s one boat you should not weather, it has to be the Titanic as it didn’t really have time to weather.

Paul. I can hardly believe you could see anything this small, as DM says...

Ashley

Chris E 108/06/2020 10:42:38
72 forum posts
Posted by ashley needham on 08/06/2020 10:11:53:

.......................... If there’s one boat you should not weather, it has to be the Titanic as it didn’t really have time to weather............

Ashley

A model of the Titanic could be 108+ years old.

ashley needham08/06/2020 20:00:40
6497 forum posts
224 photos

BUT that would be false weathering as the original was pristine???

More snaps in album. Basicaly the black hull and white has been painted (white drying) and the masked line is very sharp and only minimal retouching is necessary.

Also featured are the "detail items".,such as they are. In point of fact I am leaving a pair of cranes off the aft end as they are bunched up too much in this shortened version and look odd. Items as yet unfinished of course.

Adding the funnels makes the bare hull instantly recognisable.

Still undecided about lifeboat design. I think they may be the last things to be done.

Please see album for a few more snaps. Ashley

img_4631.jpg

img_4640.jpg

img_4642.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Cadma new
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor