Forum sponsored by Dremel

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

step by step build of a semi kit lifeboat the RNLB WILLIAM STREET of Fleetwood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
neil howard-pritchard15/06/2020 19:59:04
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

t was lovely to get out in the sun this afternoon to do some tidying and getting rid of the old growth in my bee flower planters...…...

then my back and leg began hurting like hell so came inside to do some more on the TYNE...…

spent the rest of the afternoon making up the two side vents attached to the aft wall of the main cabin....made from different thicknesses of plasticard.

they need some trimming and detailing but will let the liquid poly set hard before doing anything stupid and have them collapse on me. …..usual trick when I start getting enthusiastic and rushing.

img_5341.jpg

img_5344.jpg

img_5346.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 15/06/2020 20:02:30

neil howard-pritchard16/06/2020 01:31:48
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

HOOOSTEN, WE HARVE AY PROBLUM.We sure do!
every measurement on the aft bulkhead wall of the cabin is bob on......all the bits have been carefully measured and made.so!!! I went into the workshop to size up the main watertight door for the cabin.I thought that to make it an opening feature I would have to do something with the door surrounds to do so.but never envisaged a total new door.
who ever bought the fittings for the boat, either ordered wrongly or didn't check things when they got it all against plans.this time the mistake isn't mine for a change!out comes the plasticard again lol.img_5348.jpg

img_5349.jpg

neil howard-pritchard16/06/2020 01:33:39
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

and so this evening I set too making a new door and surrounds from plasticard.
with only photos to look at of the real boats it is a ;little hit, miss and make up as I go along, but it is getting there.
the basics are made....the door and surrounds........just got to figure out now how to put it all together.

img_5351.jpg

img_5355.jpg

img_5357.jpg

Bob Abell16/06/2020 08:38:59
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Neil...…..If you refer to my last message, it may have saved the day?

I did say...….How do the crew get down below?

Bob

neil howard-pritchard16/06/2020 22:58:50
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

id have still had to make the smaller door bob which I did but wasn't quite satisfied with having looked at it fot a while......

and so,.,,,,

went for a drive out to see the TYNE at Glasson this afternoon as I wasn't satisfied with the shape of the W/T door....couldn't get on board but was able to photograph the door from different angles giving me a clearer view of the top and bottom of the door...…..and so adjusted that by adding about 4 mm to both top and bottom of the door and then a little filler to make the curve a little less sharp.1st job.

then I made the bracket and ruffle hole at the stern for hauling the boat onto the slip[when slip launched obviously.] 2nd job.

my last job of the day was to cut and fit the surrounds for the slats for the engine room vents. I then cut to size some slatted pieces from a mould I made years ago.....not much remaining sadly and think I gave the mould away with all the other moulds, after building the Clyde. I then fitted the slats into the frames.

img_5357.jpg

img_5459.jpg

img_5462.jpg

img_5464.jpg

img_5465.jpg

neil howard-pritchard17/06/2020 23:02:00
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

I added the ducting from the cabin interior to the engine room starboard extractor/ventilator, and the mini console for the flying bridge to the E R vent,

and then it was time to attack the W/T door which I was finally almost satisfied with the shape that turned out.

I had decided to make it opening and so had make both parts for the hinges...…..the staples on the door, and the brackets on the cabin wall. also cut the window out after making the outer surrounds...….

amazingly all procedures went well...…….a miracle with this build, lol. I am going to detail the door with "rivets" next, but will have to wait until the next break in New Tricks before I go into the workshop to get the materials, but for now here is the work pre cleaning up.

img_5469.jpg

img_5466.jpg

img_5470.jpg

img_5471.jpg

Bob Abell18/06/2020 08:11:33
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Neil

As I was panning down the page, looking at your door pictures

I thought it would be nice if the door opened

Got to your last picture......And there it was.....An opening door!

Great minds think alike, hey?

Bob

neil howard-pritchard18/06/2020 21:04:50
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 18/06/2020 08:11:33:

Hi Neil

As I was panning down the page, looking at your door pictures

I thought it would be nice if the door opened

Got to your last picture......And there it was.....An opening door!

Great minds think alike, hey?

Bob

trying to get in as many working features as possible on this model, Bob tbh.

neil howard-pritchard18/06/2020 22:08:12
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

the port and starboard aft bulkhead window apertures, and frames temporarily.
and then
a Thursday afternoon. persisting it down since early morning and so I decided to make the support frame for the flying bridge grating that the helm, coxs'n and search crew stand on when on an SAR shout.
the grating I hope will be printed in two parts. the main grating, and the smaller sunken area just in front of the main W/T door into the cabin.
I hope also that the person who has said that they will be able to get it all scanned from both the drawings of the grating, plus the frame that I have just made will still be able to do so by scanning what I draw.
but for now, the grating frame. made totally from plasticard.

img_5474.jpg

img_5477.jpg

img_5483.jpg

img_5486.jpg

Bob Abell19/06/2020 07:06:20
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Neil

Coming along nicely now

But.........The sooner you cover up that manky old yellow ochre undercoat......The better?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor