Forum sponsored by Dremel

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

step by step build of a semi kit lifeboat the RNLB WILLIAM STREET of Fleetwood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham12/06/2020 07:52:14
6920 forum posts
201 photos

It’s nice to know that even an EXPERT like yourself is able to make mistakes Neil! Truth be told I should think every build has one or two mistakes in it, corrected or not.

its a shame we can’t build the other way round as we would have the benefit of hindsight then!

I tend towards the “make the bit too big, or make the hole too large” method, on the basis that large bits can be trimmed to suit, and large holes allow correct positioning and are easy to fill afterwards....

Ashley

neil howard-pritchard12/06/2020 17:48:27
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

i'm always making mistakes Ashley...…...probably too many to actually mention, but I do talk about the most important ones that take the longest time to rectify, lol.

but today was no mistake t all...

Holding up tradition that goes back about 15 years,......

I just spent £50.00p quid on two beautiful 4 blade bronze cast propellers from Simon Higgins at Prop Shop. bought a pair of 2222 props[new classification 5511]

Since my first pair all those years ago, I have never put another makers props on my boats...…..they are worth more than mediocre off the shelf ones.

He also reckons that 2 x torpedo 800 motors will do the job and push the old Tyne along at around 8 real knotts………..fast enough for me.

cannot wait to hear the ringing tone of two lovely balanced propellers on the ends of the shafts......OH WHAT JOY!!!

william street 5.jpg

4_blade_propeller_cast.jpg

neil howard-pritchard12/06/2020 17:52:26
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 12/06/2020 07:03:13:

Hi Neil

I do like the way you go about things

As though you know what you're doing!............That was a light hearted compliment btw

If you can spare the time, take a look at my latest fiasco

Just chaotic fun!

Bob

I will do bob, what section is it on...……..and being honest, I don't know what i'm doing at times other than blundering through.....but its fun. lol.makes one look good and proficient even if not, lol.

neil howard-pritchard13/06/2020 16:21:58
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

the launch skeg has been drilled to allow the filler to key to and then filler attached last night...……….sanding this afternoon lol.

well, actually household chores got in the way...………..mowing the lawn, hanging out washing and loading the washing machine again and again and......unbelievable how much clothing one daughter gets through during lockdown when she stays isolated in her bedroom all day is just unfathomable. lol...…..

so sanding might get done after tea, lol. crying

img_5280.jpg

Bob Abell13/06/2020 17:29:39
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Neil

Have you made the props yourself?

Bob

neil howard-pritchard13/06/2020 18:24:12
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 13/06/2020 17:29:39:

Hi Neil

Have you made the props yourself?

Bob

no bob, I buy them from Simon Higgins of Propshop fame. they are cast in liquid molten bronze.

then the flash and pouring holes ground off before being balanced and then polished to a lovely shine.....they ring like a bell when tapped...…...and all for 25 quid each...……….an absolute snip.

here is a small one I bought off him at the Blackpool show last October...…….

went through exactly all the same processes as the one in the photo, and cost me the small sum of 12 quid...….I don't know how he does it for that price.

img_5287.jpg

img_5286.jpg

neil howard-pritchard14/06/2020 14:20:25
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

job done......I can now begin to work on the top side.

img_5289.jpg

img_5288.jpg

neil howard-pritchard14/06/2020 23:28:00
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

and so it starts, YOU WONDER where the time goes when you are building parts from scratch.

nearly 5 hours looking at plans, and then photographs, and then measuring up and figuring out what method to use, what materials to use and what glues/strengthening strips etc.This late afternoon I started on one of the features....the instrument console on the flying bridge, Start to finish, 5 hours..detailing comes later from the resin parts supplied in the kit.

so I'll let the photos speak.All I will say is that a mixture of superglue to glue plastics to grp and polyweld for plastic to plastic was used and all parts from different thicknesses of plastic card.

you will note though from overhead shots that the cut away is NOT symmetrical around a centre mark [its not even central on the cabin top and is, according to both photos AND plans, is not supposed to be......its not your eyes, nor a mistake.

img_5316.jpg

img_5321.jpg

img_5326.jpg

img_5328.jpg

img_5330.jpg

img_5336.jpg

img_5338.jpg

Bob Abell15/06/2020 06:59:55
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Five hours well spen, Neil

Taking shape now, how do the crew get down below?

Or is that a silly question?

Bob

neil howard-pritchard15/06/2020 19:54:13
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 15/06/2020 06:59:55:

Five hours well spen, Neil

Taking shape now, how do the crew get down below?

Or is that a silly question?

Bob

to the port side of that console is the main watertight door...……..I have a resin fitting for that in the bags that I bought with the kit.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor