Forum sponsored by Dremel

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

step by step build of a semi kit lifeboat the RNLB WILLIAM STREET of Fleetwood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
neil howard-pritchard04/06/2020 14:28:48
1576 forum posts
948 photos

cheers guys.......appreciate the confidence in me, lol.

neil howard-pritchard04/06/2020 17:05:11
1576 forum posts
948 photos

yesterday, before I found my mistake in the trim tab I made the sockets and rams for the trimtabs.

made from scrap[ plastic pieces they went together reasonably well with a little trial and error and a lot of patience, including making the small brass hinges to fit. .

img_5096.jpg

img_5101.jpg

img_5105.jpg

img_5108.jpg

img_5109.jpg

img_5115.jpg

img_5128.jpg

img_5132.jpg

img_5133.jpg

Bob Abell04/06/2020 17:10:53
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Nicely made fiddly bits

Bob

neil howard-pritchard04/06/2020 22:38:07
1576 forum posts
948 photos

img_5169.jpg

img_5177.jpg

img_5178.jpg

img_5181.jpg

neil howard-pritchard04/06/2020 22:39:18
1576 forum posts
948 photos

the above was my work this afternoon. V

this afternoon I sat down, with some annealed brass wire, some ply wood sheet timber, my trusty point nose pliers, and fashioned the loops for the guard rails for the trim tab rams. marked out the positions for the holes for the loops to be drilled, and inserted the loops.

got my "second hands" and placed the long joining "bar" to the loops, and simply silver soldered the two guards together.

I took each guard, and placed it on the transom, marking the positions for the holes, drilled them and dry fitted to see what they were to look like.

the brackets have been soldered on to the tabs and they have been glued back in place with epoxy.

I then tried the dry fit of the rams and guards.....they fit well, and with a little bit of adjustment will look well I hope.

Bob Abell05/06/2020 08:15:45
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Neil

Will these dampers be operative?

They would be a nice feature to watch on the water

Bob

neil howard-pritchard05/06/2020 13:50:39
1576 forum posts
948 photos

oh yes, Bob, they will be working as individual tabs on separate mini servos......

but you wont see the tabs working once the boat is in the water other than by seeing the boats sailing angle differ once they are deployed when reaching full speed, where they will be set on a downward angle....

faster the boat goes the steaper angle downwards they go, until they reach an angle of around 15 - 20 degrees downward angle...…...no more ore they would cause the boat to slow down dramatically. ……..

you can probably liken them to air breaks or flaps on an aircraft if angle is too great.

neil howard-pritchard07/06/2020 00:10:40
1576 forum posts
948 photos

I measured up and made the mounting "bracket" for the two servos that operate the rams for the two trim tabs.

I then mounted the servos into the bracket with single arm servo links to get the right position for the mounting, and then glued in position with 30 minute 2 part epoxy.

tomorrow I'll set it permanently with a fillet of body filler all around the base of the stand. it might be beafy, but it will not give way at all under operation.

img_5192 (1).jpg

img_5193 (1).jpg

img_5195.jpg

img_5198.jpg

img_5199.jpg

Bob Abell07/06/2020 08:20:47
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Looking strong and chunky and made for the job in hand.......Nice

Bob

neil howard-pritchard07/06/2020 23:19:16
1576 forum posts
948 photos

you would think that after 25 years teaching the bloody subject I would be able to measure a piece of timber between two centres accurately, without being a total nob head and cocking it up!...…..

err NO!.....well, not strictly true...…….I did measure accurately, except that I measured the pilot holes for the prop tubes to go through, and the dims between these, and the dims for the offset rudder shafts are about 15mm between the two.

so when I had reamed out the holes to fit the rudder shafts the distance between holes and shafts was out by that 15mm...…..duurrrrr.

and so I cut the timber mount in two, and mounted a stretcher piece between them and made sure by clamping them that they were totally in line. I have left to set, but then discovered another problem.....I had been over indulgent with the filler i'm afraid, but my trusty sonic file came in handy,...…….what a fabulous tool it is for getting me out of so many cock ups, lol. there are cheaper ones on the market as I have since found, but for the money this tool has been fantastic....I reckon it would get me into fort Knox except for the guard contingency, lol.

img_5201.jpg

img_5204.jpg

img_5206.jpg

img_5213.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor