Forum sponsored by Dremel

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

step by step build of a semi kit lifeboat the RNLB WILLIAM STREET of Fleetwood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Fellows23/01/2021 12:00:23
859 forum posts
565 photos

Those certainly do look nicely made brushed motors, much better than the usual ones.

Chris

neil howard-pritchard23/01/2021 14:07:43
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

just weighed them Chris........they weigh in at 400 grams each...quite chunky beasts.

neil howard-pritchard13/02/2021 00:45:06
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

for the past 3 weeks i have been trying to work inside on a work board on a chair in front of the radiator, as it has been so bitterly cold outside in the easterly winds, that the heaters in my workshop just wouldn't keep pace with the outside minus temps.

and so my first job was the purchase of a model lifeboat that was a real collectors item, was an absolute snip at £30.00p and was a restoration job.

it took me 13 half days to work my magic on it and turn it from a wreck into my little thing of beauty.

this is an old LESRO kit of the Atlantic 21 lifeboat rib, which i named after Blackpool's trial lifeboat of 1975.

and here it is in all its small beauty in front of my 44" long Shannon class lifeboat.

i cannot believe how lucky i was to pick this up from a town in East Sussex, along with a converted model of the 16" long RNLI sold RTR Severn class lifeboat including a set of 2.4ghz radio, all all for £77.20p including next day courier service.......that i call is an absolute bargain.

the Atlantic 21 is just 22" long LOA.

img_7829.jpg

neil howard-pritchard13/02/2021 00:54:11
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

THEN, after finishing the small rib Atlantic 21, i started to get boared and so went through the plans for my Tyne to see if there was anything that i hadn't made, that i could do indoors.

i came across two small "ish" items, but both equally important parts to make, that could be made indoors.

the first was a single small item, circular in construction, but vital to another item on the fore deck........

the foot start/stop switch for the capstain.

i made this from two "rounds" of circular polyurethane resin scrap pieces and a piece of 0.25mm plasticard glued together to make up the switch,

and then it was on to the 3rd piece.img_7868.jpg

img_7867.jpg

neil howard-pritchard13/02/2021 01:07:46
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

the third piece of fitting........the Delta anchor and holding brackets.

TYNE class lifeboat progress goes awry!

although only a teeny weeny bit of the whole build of the lifeboat, but it has caused me to rethink and evaluate my modelling skills.

have you ever thought you would be saving time and using parts from another kit to substitute just plain common sense building.

its still sub zero outside with a bitter easterly wind straight from the Russian Steppes, and even the salt water model sailing lake at Fleetwood has frozen over, and my shed is as cold as a sharks heart, and so, now that the Atlantic is finished, and all parts for

Mick French's Mersey are all made and just waiting to be painted and fitted, i turned my attention to what more i could make in the warmth of my home.

one part was the structure for locating the Delta anchor on the starboard bow!......

ahhh i thought, [well I didn't really think, just blundered on] and started using a bit of off cut moulding from the Atlantic kit, but one end needed cutting and refitting.

As i blundered on, i came to a stage where i actually began to think.........this is so bloody awful and an absolute mess. And so i thought eventually...........why not just cut and make the item from plasticard,rather than a piece of rejected moulding, and total junk.....

And so i did...........and it took me less than half the time to make it than modify a bit of scrap crap!.sometimes........saving time using something actually costs you much more time, and you get nowhere in the end.

img_7838.jpg

img_7839.jpg

img_7841.jpg

img_7843.jpg

img_7864.jpg

img_7866.jpg

neil howard-pritchard13/02/2021 14:17:00
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

still absolutely freezing outside today, -5c with wind chill factor so am still doing little bits inside the warmth of my home. this afternoon i have detailed th capstain on /off switch and the foot bracket for the anchor retainer.

then i dug out an old spair chain locker lid and modified that to take the header chain for the fore deck.

once the weather gets warmer i'll be able to paint them ready for when i commence putting the lifeboat together, after i have built Mick French's Mersey for him.

img_7869.jpg

img_7871.jpg

img_7872.jpg

Colin Bishop13/02/2021 14:19:43
4757 forum posts
6078 photos
404 articles

Quite agree Neil, if you only want a one off then fabrication is often the answer.

Colin

gecon14/02/2021 07:43:18
310 forum posts
271 photos

Very nice anchor stowage Neil!

Of course, it's all very nice, but I just happened to focus on the particular part I need to make!

I'll have to get something planned on the foredeck for my plough anchor. Will have to be small deck-chocks I expect.

George

neil howard-pritchard21/02/2021 22:56:57
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

Miracles do happen

As the weather has started to get warmer, and my 2 oil filled rads are keeping pace and in fact getting the workshop nice and warm, i have done some clearing out of some crap, giving me space to have the two lifeboats on one side, and the fittings for the Mersey in front and behind me so that i can work on it.

a little more clearing tomorrow and i could possibly be on the ball to start putting Mick French's Mersey together by the end of the week..a couple of months at most, and that will be ready to bring indoors and hopefully if lockdown is lifted a few days in cornwall for my daughter and i will be on the cards.

img_7933.jpg

img_7934.jpg

img_7935.jpg

neil howard-pritchard23/02/2021 16:38:02
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

Back to the mersey for a while...........may as well combine the two builds.......two for the price of one, lol.

The commencement of putting together the grown up aitfix model has begun.

I got hold of the window frames for the Mersey, and laid out two strips of masking tape, sticky side up.

I then seperated the "glass" from the frame one at a time, and put the "glass" on the top strip and the frame on the bottom strip, as quite a few of them are different shapes, and I only wanted to paint the "glass" black on the outside face.

I sprayed the. all a coat of filler primer, and then after an hour or so in a nice hot workshop I sprayed the "glass" black satin, and once it had dried after an hour or so [all depends these days how long my coyboy film lasts or has a break in it........as sod all else to do lol] I then covered it up and sprayed the frames alluminium silver!

They will be put together tonight and then hopefully attached to the cabin of the Mersey!

img_7936.jpg

img_7937.jpg

img_7938.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor