Bob

neil howard-pritchard29/05/2020 12:21:11
1576 forum posts
948 photos

yes

neil howard-pritchard29/05/2020 21:11:11
1576 forum posts
948 photos

last night I used my woodworking skills to cut, shape and configure the rear launching skeg.

made it from a lump of obeche, a band saw, some plasticard, which was the detailing and glued to the timber simply with plastic weld glue, and some sand paper...…...

no more explanation really for this one.

i'll fix it to the keel after I have fitted the trim tab., which lies under it.

img_5011.jpg

img_5012.jpg

img_5018.jpg

img_5019.jpg

img_5020.jpg

img_5030.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 29/05/2020 21:12:56

neil howard-pritchard30/05/2020 20:21:25
1576 forum posts
948 photos

I have wanted to build a Tyne Class lifeboat from the first time I say our boat sail down the River Wyre in 1989 to become Fleetwoods new lifeboat, the sound of those General Motors V6 diesel two stroke engines, were just incredible, and I knew I just had to build my own representation of her.I WANT MY BOAT to have bells and whistles built into it.

And the first thing I wanted, which I haven't seen on any other model Tyne was a working trim tab. it is one tab running across some 60% of the stern, very narrow and unusual shape, as can be seen on the boat.

I pondered for days as to how to do this and how to hinge the tab. Finally I came up with a solution,and that was to hinge the tab close to the rear of the plate, and to use stainless steel pins 1.8mm diameter, set into plastic tubing, but first I had to decide what to make the trim tab out of. I decided on two layers of grp sheet, and that came from the residual of another boat built some time ago. I made a template of the overall plate, cut two pieces out and then glued together with epoxy.

Next I cut the plate to shape including leaving the tabs on for connecting the rams to a bracket. once ready I sanded the plate down and set the stainless steel pins into the ready drilled holes on the extremities to the plate, port and starboard.and cut out the area with a reamer bit in my minicraft drill to sit some ready cut plastic tube [taking the pins into, and making sure that the tab lifted with no hang ups and smooth movement, I filled in on top of the plastic tube with milliput white....once that has set and cured I will back fill the holes left in the hull under the tubing, with car filler from the inside.

This is a big triumph and job done, and i'll have a working trim tab on my boat…...aim completed.

Needless to say I didn't glue onto the boat the launching skeg as I said I would last night. thought it might get in the way.

img_5030.jpg

img_5033.jpg

img_5039.jpg

img_5042.jpg

img_5046.jpg

img_5051.jpg

neil howard-pritchard31/05/2020 00:25:18
1576 forum posts
948 photos

tonight, I mounted my 2 rudder tubes into a block of obeche, making sure to drill the holes on my pillar drill to make sure they were square true to each other and upright.
I used 2 part epoxy.
I haven't mounted the assembly into the boat as I want to clear all the paint out of the propeller tunnels and sand the tunnels smooth, so that I or my friend, or should I say can paint the boat properly with 2 pack paint.

img_5058.jpg

img_5059.jpg

img_5060.jpg

img_5061.jpg

img_5062.jpg

Bob Abell31/05/2020 06:22:47
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Hey, Neil

How about a few pictures of the full size craft for reference?

Don't seem to recognise the parts you are making at the moment

Bob

Tim Rowe31/05/2020 07:02:37
426 forum posts
440 photos

Interesting trim tab Neil.

Looking forward to seeing how it operates.

Tim R

neil howard-pritchard31/05/2020 10:34:45
1576 forum posts
948 photos
Posted by Tim Rowe on 31/05/2020 07:02:37:

Interesting trim tab Neil.

Looking forward to seeing how it operates.

Tim R

just like the normal trim tab on any lifeboat Tim...…….just different in that the thing is tucked under the boat rather than standing proud. but as Bob asks....here are a couple or so photos of the real boat set up.

img_8121.jpg

img_8123.jpg

img_8190.jpg

william street 5.jpg

Bob Abell31/05/2020 13:55:50
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Thank you Neil

Why was this hanging down flap required?

Bob

neil howard-pritchard31/05/2020 15:01:53
1576 forum posts
948 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 31/05/2020 13:55:50:

Thank you Neil

Why was this hanging down flap required?

Bob

they have them on almost all fast moving craft, Bob, especially lifeboats.

when on full song racing to a casualty the boats almost get up on the plain, but this gives an uncomfortable very back jolting ride. and so to level the boat up from a bow high profile, the coxs'n lowerres the tab to around a 20 degree angle which levels the ride of the boat out somewhat...…...and it actually also works to some degree on a model boat too.….

many competition ICE modellers use trim tabs on their racing boats.

the Tyne was an exception with lifeboats as she was the first to actually have trim tab configuration, but her tab was a single tab across the stern.

now a days the modern lifeboats like the Shannon, [picture of my model below] have them more or less at the two extremities of the transom so that on a tight curve to port or starboard the coxs'n can use the trim tabs individually to level out the fast turn., and the tabs are external fittings to all modern lifeboats.

they are not clear shots but the tabs are below the two water jet drive units with the "horn" shaped "buckets" which give the reverse thrust to the jet power...….the tabs are linked by hydraulic rams on the real boats ..on the models linked by aeroplane servo plastic "snakes".

img_5068.jpg

img_5069.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 31/05/2020 15:07:03

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor