Forum sponsored by Dremel

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

step by step build of a semi kit lifeboat the RNLB WILLIAM STREET of Fleetwood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
neil howard-pritchard27/05/2020 13:45:46
1576 forum posts
948 photos

cheers Ashley..…..it must be the 850's then with the higher revs as these boats used to get up on the semi-plane as you can see in the final stages of this video.from youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8phZqbnJFY

neil howard-pritchard27/05/2020 16:45:24
1576 forum posts
948 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 27/05/2020 07:00:50:

Blimey Charlie, Neil, what a story!

Your Talle of Two Rudders, make the Tale of Two Cities look like a brief Encounter!

Boom! Boom!

It's the way I tell'em

Bob

when I do a build blog Bob, I like to tell people how I overcome little problems that pop up, rather than just I did this and did that without any form of explanation......then if people who are building a similar vessel and come up with a similar problem...……..someone has worked it out before...…..

no good doing a build blog if you don't explain how and why you do such a process.

they may be long winded, but at the end, I can rest easy in that I have tried to help as much as I can, lol.....

you think this bit is an epic.....wait till I get on to silver soldering the rails and pulpits, and mast. lol.

Bob Abell27/05/2020 19:15:05
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Neil

I didn`t mean to cause offence, old chap...…...It was a witty play on words

Read it again

Bob

neil howard-pritchard27/05/2020 19:33:29
1576 forum posts
948 photos

you didn't cause any offense at all Bob...…...found it to be amusing I'm known by my kids for being a boring old fart.....rambling on...…..well, you've met me, lol...…..what do you think?

in 25 years of teaching I was called a lot worse and had far worse said to me, especially by headmasters, hahaha. so don't worry...….it would take a lot more than some witty repartee' to upset me.

neil howard-pritchard28/05/2020 18:37:29
1576 forum posts
948 photos

NO stopping me now!!!.

looks like another model I have found to be enjoyable building.

I decided that before I fitted the rudders I needed something to protect them as I have yet to build a stand for the model...….

so first things first, make the keel skegs that these boats run on when being slip launched.

photocopied the skegs in 3 parts from my Dave Metcalf plans and joined together, and then mounted onto some thicker card.

cut them out and mounted onto 2 layers of 8mm birch faced ply.

cut the ply on the band saw, sanded them down and made to fit the moulded skeg. there is a slight discrepancy between the length of the skeg and the keel, but this can be filled with car body filler.

I then drilled the keels and fitted some brass wire pins. mated them up to the skegs, drilled the holes to receive the pins and dry fitted the keels to the skegs...….nice fit!.

I took them off and gave two coats of sanding sealer [ dries quickly in this weather....and sat back thinking I would glue them in place with two part epoxy when my new supply comes next week as estimated.

my daughter came in to my workshop as I was thinking so, and handed me a package saying one of your "friends" has sent you a bomb.[can quite believe it, the number I upset by being forthright]…..and carefully opened it...……..boooooom!!!! she shouted from outside the door, as I took the wrapping off...…..poohed myself, cheeky git!...…..but incredibly it was my Devcon super strong 2 part epoxy that I ordered 2 nights ago.......so just waiting for the sealer to harden and then I'll glue the keels in place a little later.

img_4977.jpg

img_4980.jpg

img_4981.jpg

img_4992.jpg

img_4989.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 28/05/2020 18:39:56

Chris Fellows28/05/2020 22:58:39
809 forum posts
532 photos
Posted by neil howard-pritchard on 27/05/2020 16:45:24:
Posted by Bob Abell on 27/05/2020 07:00:50:

Blimey Charlie, Neil, what a story!

Your Talle of Two Rudders, make the Tale of Two Cities look like a brief Encounter!

Boom! Boom!

It's the way I tell'em

Bob

when I do a build blog Bob, I like to tell people how I overcome little problems that pop up, rather than just I did this and did that without any form of explanation......then if people who are building a similar vessel and come up with a similar problem...……..someone has worked it out before...…..

no good doing a build blog if you don't explain how and why you do such a process.

they may be long winded, but at the end, I can rest easy in that I have tried to help as much as I can, lol.....

you think this bit is an epic.....wait till I get on to silver soldering the rails and pulpits, and mast. lol.

I totally agree Neil. Yes, experienced builders might find the detail too much but beginners/less experienced will find it invaluable. It's a build blog and no-one is forced to read it. Otherwise you may as well make one post and show a photograph of it finished! smiley

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 28/05/2020 22:59:11

neil howard-pritchard28/05/2020 23:27:47
1576 forum posts
948 photos

agree totally Chris...…..I find it incredibly frustrating on build blogs when some talk about electronics as though everyone is a "sparks"...…….

I rule Dave Milbourn out of this catagory...……..he talks to me as what I am, an idiot in the subject.....and I appreciate it...…...…….and we get things sorted...he's a star with abundance of patience lol.

but one guy on a forum today said of my comment about putting a sound system in my new build of Tyne engines...….oh yeh just do this and that...……...

wey hay...…..I said I don't understand what you are talking about...………….

oh just go to this site he said, giving me a link....it will explain it all.....

it was all in BLOODY GERMAN fgs

I gave up communicating on that note lol.

Bob Abell29/05/2020 08:05:40
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Neil......I have already apologised for my OTT comment regarding your Tale of Two Rudders.....It was purely a friendly play on words, intended to create amusement

Bob

Eddie Lancaster29/05/2020 09:08:02
698 forum posts
526 photos

I have been modelling for over forty years now, but I still find there is something new to learn from other’s build blogs, so keep them coming, long winded or not.

Eddie

neil howard-pritchard29/05/2020 09:10:05
1576 forum posts
948 photos

Bob, please do not take those comments as aimed at you,

Chris and I were having a grouch at people who post a "build" on other forums and never explain how or why they did it...…...no detriment to you at all Bod, and sorry if I have upset you...…….but definitely NOT aimed at yourself. cheers.

and your comments did and do amuse me............you are like myself........you say what you mean, and i both admire and respect you for that.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 29/05/2020 09:11:52

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor