Forum sponsored by Dremel

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

step by step build of a semi kit lifeboat the RNLB WILLIAM STREET of Fleetwood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
neil howard-pritchard19/06/2020 22:01:01
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

I have started marking out and drawing the grating parts for the platform at the rear of the cabin.

it will be in two parts...…….the main grating and the sunken step in front of the W/T Door. then all parts will be off to a 3D printer to have one done to see if it all works as I hope it should. the card drawings will then be transferred on to drafting paper .

I also started the small raised platform for the helmsman, and what I can only think is a galvanised steel cover for something that sits on the deck under it.

there is one final small locker that sits just to the left of the small console attached to the starboard engine room vent, but am going to start that now. however I cannot fit that as it protrudes from deck level to above the grating, which will eventually have to be cut to facilitate the locker.

but certainly don't want to start hacking holes in that before it is printed

img_5494.jpg

img_5495.jpg

img_5496.jpg

img_5497.jpg

Bob Abell20/06/2020 07:44:39
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Nice progress report, Neil

Looking very busy well made, you seem to work very quickly too?

Don't really understand what the 3D Printer is going to do etc?

Are you enjoying the build?

Bob

neil howard-pritchard20/06/2020 14:41:37
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 20/06/2020 07:44:39:

Nice progress report, Neil

Looking very busy well made, you seem to work very quickly too?

Don't really understand what the 3D Printer is going to do etc?

Are you enjoying the build?

Bob

enjoying it very much Bob...….it has been less than a month since I started the build, and one of the main features is almost ready. .I actually sailed on the actual boat a few times, and steered her both in daylight and by buoy and radar assistance one evening.

as for 3d printing......it is going to accurately print out the frame for me, and the grating that goes into the frame which is a very delicate piece of the aft structure, which I wouldn't without 3d printing be able to model.

these are 2 pictures of the real boat and you can see that the plastic would be wafer thin at 12th scale, but if 3d printed the structure will as a whole be quite strong.

tyne flying bridge (21).jpg

91810249_2936227736468875_6309490941338058752_o.jpg

ashley needham20/06/2020 17:58:21
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Neil....just think about the challenge!!

Ashley

neil howard-pritchard20/06/2020 18:07:41
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by ashley needham on 20/06/2020 17:58:21:

Neil....just think about the challenge!!

Ashley

no thanks matey...….i'll let a printer do that one lol.

neil howard-pritchard22/06/2020 13:28:23
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

a few weeks of thinking of the problem and then contacting a link....and a week of sketching and drawing on a sheet of drafting paper...

but what do these dark drawings represent...….all will be revealed in a few weeks.

img_5504.jpg

img_5505.jpg

Bob Abell22/06/2020 13:50:43
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Hi Neil

I think your latest photos mean that the batteries need charging!....?

In other words.......Not got a clue!

Bob

neil howard-pritchard22/06/2020 13:55:51
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

oh, good, about not a clue bob, means my ploy about keeping the part secret until I have started producing it as a fitting for a model has worked...…….keeping the plagiarists at bay, lol...…….nothing wrong with the batteries though..well charged just too light for the flash to kick in and set with a dark card as the base liner for my table top drawing board..….

just enough to confuse.

neil howard-pritchard23/06/2020 18:53:11
1626 forum posts
1061 photos
I made two "additions" for the aft cabin last night, but for the first time in years I hadn't a clue what they were for on a lifeboat, and I was sure that they weren't structural as they were riveted/bolted onto the front faces of the two extensions to the aft cabin, but were covering something.
now, not all Tynes' had them, and those Tynes that did have them had a multitude of different shapes as I have pictures of the RNLB Garside, and others on a hard standing at Fleetwood taken a few years ago, and she [Garside] didn't have them fitted.
and so I asked my friend Rob Baines what they were. He was crew on our Tyne
Here was Rob Baines' reply." they are Compressed air tanks for the self righting bags on top of the aft cabin, they where only fitted to the boats re-engined with D-dec engines.
When the D-dec engines were fitted the geometry of the boat changed making then unable to self right so the air bags were fitted triggered from a gyro switch in the roof of the wheel house."
Further to that, I bought a small tin of polyester resin so that I could reinforce- the top corners of the cabin running down port and starboard so that I can "round" the edges off sufficiently to look correct.
img_5520.jpg
img_5517.jpg
neil howard-pritchard24/06/2020 20:07:15
1626 forum posts
1061 photos

finished the compressed air boxes, adding the fixing rivets, and then put in the spacer floor into the aft cabin.
I want to put into the cabin the side survivors bunks and stretchers along with the watertight small access door to the tiller flat so this deck made from 10mm ply has straightened out the side walls of the cabin, which had bowed inwards through age.
the centre will then be cut out and the dropped area then made to sit inside the main access hole in the stern of the hull......more to follow.

also....the drawings and model frame are now with an aquaintance/friend through the RNLI who works in 3D Programming for him to try to work his magic on them to produce a programme to print the 3 pieces required to make the flying bridge grating.....fingers crossed.

img_5521.jpg

img_5524.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor