Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Spektrum DX6e Switch Problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gareth Jones24/05/2020 14:04:23
791 forum posts
1067 photos

I have a feeling Dave Milbourn is going to come along and say I told you so but here goes anyway.

I have a Spektrum DX6e transmitter which is about 2 or 3 years old. It has been faultless up to now but has started to be very reluctant to allow itself to be switched off. No matter where, how hard or how long I press the on/off switch down it sometimes refuses to turn off and the only option is to remove one of the batteries. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution, other than a new switch or send it off to the repair agents, wherever they are now?

If I replace the battery the unit immediately powers up without needing to press the switch to turn it on so I am not sure whether the fault is in the switch itself or the electrical logic in the unit. Getting at the switch inside the case does not look straightforward. Ironically I bought this transmitter to replace a DX5 transmitter that also had a problem with its on/off switch, but that was a different type of switch.

Sorry I meant to start this as a new thread but somehow managed to add it to this one and now cant remove it - not my day today

Gareth

Moved from previous thread

Edited By Colin Bishop on 24/05/2020 15:31:04

Dave Milbourn24/05/2020 14:31:50
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Gareth

If I did "tell you so" then I'm blowed if I can remember when and what it was! This does sound like a faulty switch but, like a current-model car of any make, it's not wise to go poking around inside unless you've had the manufacturer's training course. This is the official UK service agent now that Horizon Hobby Products has quit these shores Spektrum Service Agent

I wish I could charge £40/hour for repairing ACTion stuff. Still, even at that rate a repair will be much cheaper than throwing away all your Spektrum stuff and changing brands.

Dave M

Edited By Colin Bishop on 24/05/2020 15:29:04

Gareth Jones24/05/2020 15:37:47
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Thanks for that Dave I will give them a try. However I have just had a thought I will investigate first. I wonder if it is a touch sensitive switch rather than a mechanically operated one?

The initial reference to your advice Dave was because I seem to remember you became rather disenchanted with Spektrum technology a while ago and mentioned you were selling off your Spektrum stuff.

Gareth

Edited By Colin Bishop on 24/05/2020 19:12:31

Dave Milbourn24/05/2020 18:33:50
4011 forum posts
282 photos

You sneaky devil, Mr Jones! You've replied on another thread and thrown my equilibrium right out of balance!

If you've been using the set for 2-3 years then it's unlikely that you've suddenly forgotten how to turn it on and off, or that it's only now 'decided' to change switch mode. My money's still on a duff switch being the problem. Please let us know in due course.

I did sell my Spektrum Dx5 because I had a few gripes about it but there are an awful lot of folk out there who use Spektrum gear and who wouldn't willingly swap for any other brand. Like a marque of car, I guess we all tend to stick to the same one until it either lets us down or we just fancy a change. I had seven Vauxhalls in a row, followed by four Citroens - and I'm now on my fourth Toyota.

Dave M

Colin Bishop24/05/2020 19:28:30
4547 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Arrgh! I set up a dedicated thread and transfer the posts and you've still got your wires crossed and not just in the switch either.. Stick to this one now please!

It is easy enough to get the back off the TX and maybe you could have a poke about inside to see what sort of switch it is and whether it can be reached.

My DX6i has a simple slide switch on the front which suggests that any single pole switch that will fit in the hole could be used even a toggle switch mounted on plastic card cemented to the inside of the case. The switch on the DX6e also seems to be a simple slide switch but mounted vertically.The TX is out of warranty so no harm in looking and modifying if possible. I have had the stick units out of mine to repair a dodgy pot track with no problems. If the switch is accessible then it might be possible to just order one of those and do the job yourself.

Colin

Gareth Jones24/05/2020 20:44:38
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Thanks for sorting the post out into a separate thread Colin. It might be easier to follow now.

The switch on the DX6e is a push button switch not a slider - push for on, push and hold for 4 seconds for off.

I have had the back off a DX5 lots of times, either to investigate the on off switch problem I had with one of those or to change the mode of the throttle stick from slider to spring centered and back again, depending on whether its prime use was for powered models or yachts.  Changing the mode on the DX6e is easy, its done with a switch on the back. Taking the DX6e apart though looks much trickier in comparison.

I had a cautious look inside the DX6e but could only separate the two halves of the case by about an inch. The problem is there is a lot more 'gubbins' inside a DX6e and a lot of leads across from the back section to the front. I suspect most of these leads have plugs or sockets at one end or the other but they are so short I can only gingerly separate the two halves of the transmitter by about an inch. I suspect if I separate the leads from the front or back it could be a real struggle to get them reconnected. Maybe there is some spare wire hidden in there or maybe some 'value engineering' was done in the design and someone worked out their assembly line workers only needed leads 2 inches long to put them together and they could save a penny a transmitter.

I will ring the service centre next week and see what they say and let you know the outcome. It will probably be cost effective to repair a DX6e but the response I got on the DX5 from Germany 2 years ago was its obsolete.

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 24/05/2020 20:45:36

Edited By Gareth Jones on 24/05/2020 20:59:13

Colin Bishop24/05/2020 21:03:23
4547 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Gareth, sounds like it is a lot more complex than my set then. If it is push button then it could be the switch but it could equally be the electronics,

As Dave implies, repair costs could be unviable for an obsolete unit. If you don't need all the computerised gizmos then there are 6ch well specified radios available for probably less than it will cost to have yours repaired.

Colin

Gareth Jones26/05/2020 10:16:23
791 forum posts
1067 photos

A helpful man at Al's Hobbies Service Dept told me he thinks he knows what the fault is and it should be a simple repair to the on/off switch so I am going to box the transmitter up and send it off in the post tomorrow.

Really the only 'computerised' part of the transmitter that we use is to set the servo range and end points for the throttle channel which controls the sailwinch in various yachts. This particular transmitter has about 10 models in its memory, all different. I used to use a Servomorph in each yacht but the transmitter set up is simpler. As much as anything, I don't want to have to learn how to programme yet another transmitter which, even if it is a Spektrum one, will no doubt have had some improvements added that make the process different to previous models - and maybe incompatible to some of my many Spektrum receivers.

Gareth

Gareth Jones03/06/2020 11:04:53
791 forum posts
1067 photos

The transmitter was posted off to the repair centre at Al's Hobbies last Wednesday, postage cost, tracked £11.

I was rung up by the technician yesterday who confirmed the switch had two mechanical faults and had been repaired, cost of repair £30 and postage back £9.

It arrived back today, a week after it was sent off and is now working fine.

A much cheaper option than buying a replacement, possibly having to learn another programming process and having to set up 10 sail winches again.

Excellent service and I have no complaints. However not quite as good as a replacement UPVC door lock gearbox that I ordered for our back door last week. Time from ordering on the website to having it delivered and fitting it was less than 24 hours. (and that was just the standard delivery service)

Gareth

Colin Bishop03/06/2020 11:21:15
4547 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Glad you got it fixed OK Gareth, good value in the circumstances as you say.

My automated conservatory vent control box seems to have got its unmentionables in a spiral with a blacked out display and the auto function not working so the vents didn't close when they should have. I managed to close them by swiching to manual using the button sequence and have now emailed the supplier for advice. I suspect it will be a new circuit board at around £100 but I should be able to fit it myself if so.

Gadgets are great until they go wrong...

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor