By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Putting rc into the 1/200 scale Titanic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Hustler 113/05/2020 00:23:30
7 forum posts

Hi all having got the 1/200 Titanic today I would like to know what the best way to put rc into the boat, I know how to put it in BUT what's the best way to acess the rc?? What part should I make removable??

ashley needham13/05/2020 09:53:12
6574 forum posts
144 photos

Andy.now there’s a question! As the owner of the new kit, only you will be able to answer that, unless someone else has got there before.

I will post some snaps of mine with the top off.....I know it’s not a kit, but it might point the way?

Ashley

Colin Bishop13/05/2020 10:20:46
4508 forum posts
6059 photos
398 articles

I don't know how the Titanic kit goes together so can only offer some practical suggestions based on converting the big Revell Queen Mary 2 kit which is of a similar size.

Obviously you need to get into the middle of the model and almost certainly the best way to do this will be to make the boat deck removable from behind the bridge. This might entail running some extra plastic support on the inside of the superstructure for it to sit on and enable it to be screwed or bolted down.

You will also need occasional access to the rudder head as if you damage the rudder and everything is welded up you won't be able to easily make repairs so the poop should be detatchable but normally screwed dowm.

There may not be much room around the rudder head so you will need to think about how you are going to operate it. A small servo might fit under the poop near the rudder otherwise you might need to consider mounting the servo under the boat deck and operating the rudder with either a rod (possibly bent to pass under the aft well deck) of by using a flexible sheathed cable as used in model aircraft. It all depends on how much room there is.

Although the boat deck should be made detachable, ideally you don't want to remove it at the pondside or you will inevitably break things off so concealed remote master switches should be used to avoid the need for this. There are various options including magnetic switches to do the job. Despite this on my QM2 I have knocked something off every time I've taken it to the pond. Those delicate platic fittings are, well, delicate!

Although the hull looks quite big you will almost certainly find he the model is tender. Firstly because it is narrow for its length and secondly all those plastic fittings carried high up are actually relatively heavy and there is little scope for cutting away covered sections of deck under the superstructure houses to make much difference to the weight.

If I were you I would make provision for fitting a false keel, prefereably detchable. My QM2 did stay upright in the bath with just internal ballast but the slightest breath of wind laid her right over due to the high superstructure. A small weight on a deep keel works better than a heavier one stuck directly underneath the hull as the model doesn't then bob about unrealistically. Despite doing this on my QM2 the model is still unhappy in anything more than a gentle breeze.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 13/05/2020 10:24:05

Paul T13/05/2020 10:56:23
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Good answer Colin especially the point about the false keel, did you have any problems with trimming the boat to make it sit correctly at the waterline or did you juggle the locations of motors and battery?

Colin Bishop13/05/2020 11:35:53
4508 forum posts
6059 photos
398 articles

Paul,

The motor positions were fixed by the length of the prop tubes (obviously you need access to the inboard ends).

On my models which usually have NiCad packs I make a tray in the bottom of the hull so that when the model is complete I can slide the batteries backwards and forwards to ensure that the model trims correctly by bow and stern.

Another little trick is that you can usually get away with ballasting the model slightly above the nominal waterline as the water surface is usually fairly transparent and at least ruffled so it will not be noticeable when sailing. This can give a very useful addition to the displacement.

Colin

Andy Hustler 113/05/2020 15:12:19
7 forum posts

Many thanks to all for the great advice. I cracked the box open last night and I thought OMG I've just opened Pandora box. But fear not I will crack on slowly I'm not going to rush it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor