Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Doug Martin11/05/2020 16:10:55
1 forum posts

where can I get sails for a 1/24 scale Veronica spritsail boat

Ray Wood 211/05/2020 16:27:06
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Doug,

Egyptian cotton is the best, Dylon cold water dye terracotta colour into the washing machine, dry and iron and the fun begins 😄 hem the edges on a sewing machine or by hand and maybe using Wonder web ? Then the really good fun starts as you sew the bolt rope round the edges for the rig fixings.

Or I think £450 for a commercial set 😯,

It's not that hard if I can do it !!veronica new main.jpg

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster11/05/2020 17:53:39
695 forum posts
526 photos

Dunelm sell a lightweight poly cotton sheet that is the correct colour for her sails, around £5-00 for a single flat sheet.

Regards.

Eddie.

ashley needham11/05/2020 19:11:15
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Hi Doug and welcome to the forum.

Did you mean....purchase ready made sails, or "dye pillowcases and sew them up"?

Actually, having just scrolled up to see the likely cost of buying some, the DIY method may be preferable....

Ray. We have tiles just like that in our kitchen!! (ours doesn't have boating bits near the though)

Ashley

Eddie Lancaster11/05/2020 19:18:29
695 forum posts
526 photos

I should have said single bed sheet. More than enough for a set of sails.

Eddie

Stephen Musgrave13/05/2020 15:43:21
2 forum posts

May I jump in, hoping this is not too far off topic, Veronica rigging. I am having trouble deciding how many and what size sheave blocks etc,

I’m finding the plan vague on this matter. I think someone asked a similar question last year but did not get a real answer. There is no “parts list” that I know of, perhaps someone who has already built the barge could give us some idea. Otherwise I’ll be ordering the things one at a time ad paying postage every time!

Eddie Lancaster13/05/2020 16:44:08
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. Stephen, it is tricky working out how far to go with working rigging on a TSB, if you look at my album Eddies TSB’s you may find one or two pictures there that may help, From memory, my boat is 150 miles from me at the moment, the six main mast shrouds are fixed by the dead eyes to the chain plates permanently the next one back is the top mast back stay and is tensioned with a a double and single block and is fixed by a hook to another chain plate, the next one back is the running back stay and is fixed in the same way,the forestay is fixed at the stem with a pair of blocks.

All of the sails, apart for the mainsail have a single block fixed to eyes at the top of the masts for the uphauls to run through and fastened off at various cleats on the tabernacle, or on the shrouds on the full size.

All of this can be simplified if you want to.

If Ray or anyone else reads this and feels I have got any of it wrong please feel free to make corrections.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 213/05/2020 17:55:25
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Stephen,

Glad to hear your rigging a Veronica, I have been racing mine built by Peter Simmonds who in my book is the master, he was a shipwright, anyway if you need specific pictures let me know, unlike Eddie mine is on the landing 😄

Maybe worth a look in my album Ray's boats

The adjustable parts of the rig centre around being able to drop the topmast for getting it into the car, as you will know she is fairly big fully rigged, so the sail halyards need now she's to adjust able tension.

AMBO has a Facebook group maybe worth a look.v&a ambo finals sept 17 039.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 13/05/2020 17:56:54

Stephen Musgrave14/05/2020 09:55:45
2 forum posts

Hi Eddie and Ray,

Many thanks to you both for helpful replies. Your pictures are great. I find I have already downloaded and printed two or three of Ray's photos from your album and then forgot where I had found them, so a useful reminder. And it would be great to see as many more nice detailed close-up photos that you are both able to take, but the landing boat obviously easier than Eddy's just now. I do find these photos are helpful as this is my first TSB build (well almost, apart from a rather nice little toy stumpy from a plan I found in a Readers Digest DIY book years ago).

I am still finishing off the deck fittings at present, just looking ahead to the next stage.

I would have made an effort to get to a racing venue to have a look at peoples' models (Maldon is just 4 miles from us so the real barges are easily accessible). But hopefully later in the year now.

Looking forward to more photos please.

Regards

Steve

Eddie Lancaster14/05/2020 12:14:28
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi.Stephen, not sure if you have seen the album Reperter & Mirosa these two barges are at Faversham, Mirosa in particular is much the same as Veronica.

Good luck with your build.

Eddie.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor