Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Help / Advice needed

Running gear for RMS Titanic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Hustler 108/05/2020 13:33:03
7 forum posts

Hi all I've asked on other sites but should of asked the best to start with. I've got, awaiting, the RMS Titanic in,1/200 scale and need advice on motors, speed controller, battery and possibly smoke generator. So any help and advice greatfuly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

Paul T08/05/2020 14:36:25
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Hi Andy

1:200 is a serious scale so before everyone dives in with suggestions can you tell us if you want all 3 shafts to drive and for the centre shaft are you using the 3 or 4 blade propeller option.

Dear All

Yes I know that Titanics central shaft had 3 blades but historically some photos of Olympics 4 blade version have been attributed to Titanic and the difference in the number of blades will have an influence on the choice of motor and speed controller.

Paul

ashley needham08/05/2020 20:45:04
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Andy. Welcome to the forum.

I have an (very) approx. 1:200 Titanic (4 foot long) and I have used three MFA 385 motors on it. They all run off a single 20A Mtronics esc, on anything from 6 to 10 cells Nimh battery (whatever I happen to have charged up, with added lead of course). I have brass 3 blade 35mm props on the outside and a 4 blade brass 30mm on the centre.

Built years ago and runs perfectly. Rudder is well oversize and swings to at least 45 degrees either side of centre and the boat is manoeuvrable enough, considering the length etc.

Ashley

titanic lo res 2.jpg

Colin Bishop08/05/2020 21:09:13
4522 forum posts
6067 photos
398 articles

These are the motors Ashley is referring to, I have used them in similar sized models.

**LINK**l

They will run fine on 8.4v or 9.6v NiMH batteries with scale size propellers.

When building your model, take every opportunity to,remove excess plastic from the components such as decks etc. to reduce top weight. and improve stability.

Colin

ashley needham09/05/2020 17:39:54
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Couple of snaps. This is a ply and balsa boat, now 8?? or more years old, and showing the patination that comes with hard use and loads of small repeairs and so on.

Double coupling make this super smooth and silent, and I looked at the esc and its only 15A....never had a problem. Runs mostly on a 7.2V stick.

img_4395.jpg

img_4396.jpg

img_4402.jpg

Andy Hustler 109/05/2020 18:21:36
7 forum posts

Ashley you are a true gent and a star, you've made it much clear. I had an idea what to do but as always needed some help and advice. Two shafts I have are 11" long, just under 1/2" toundaand fortunately 2 X 35mm props, I know a mix of imperial and metric but that's how I work, metric for close up work and imperial for distance.

ashley needham09/05/2020 18:55:26
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Andy. I have all the motors on one esc as I don't think that the props are far enough apart to have much effect compared to being deferentially controlled.

A point to consider is that only the centre prop washes the rudder. You could I suppose have a more powerful motor in the centre and two lesser ones on the outside. You will not need a lot of power to get the ship moving.

Notice the massive rudder, probably 2/3 bigger than it should be. Accept nothing less!! unless you like going in straight lines...

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor