Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fisher 34 motorsailer

R/C near scale yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon15/11/2020 07:49:10
461 forum posts
387 photos

The current collection of painted parts (sorry) have now been epoxied in place on deck. I feel that a period of relative calm will prevail over the build for some while -probably until after Xmas.

The production of the 3-section wheelhouse front windows and 2-section roof will slow down the build as will the 3-section cabin roof. Have not decided how to produce any of this yet. Rooftops need to be removeable and watertight.

Cheers,

George

gecon19/11/2020 15:35:15
461 forum posts
387 photos

Found out that the wheelhouse roof needs to be fitted (removeable) before shaping the wheelhouse forward window surrounds.

Note the clingfilm Ray!

George

Ray Wood 220/11/2020 19:31:38
2418 forum posts
849 photos

Hi George,

Superstructure looking good the old Clingfilm trick works every time !

Regards

Ray

gecon05/12/2020 05:57:59
461 forum posts
387 photos

I've been 'logged out' -in more ways than one- recently. After a lay-off while getting my daughter's car through the MOT I've had trouble getting into a 'building rhythm'. Instead of building, I've been reading most of the threads and info' on the forum! Plus there's been a bit of Xmas planning and shopping with the bank-robber's mask in place.

My part of Norway has no 'lock-down' so we can get out and about a bit -but we steer out of everybody elses 'wake turbulance', 'bow wave' and 'frontal spray'. Usually a good idea even in non-viral times! 20201130_172535.jpg

Anyway, I've managed to cut the strange wonkey parallelogram -or is it trapezium?- type frames and openings for the wheelhouse forward windows. In the process I've noticed that the forward roof overhang 'brim' of the wheelhouse roof was not long enough. An extra 1cm has now been added to that and needs to be faired in and glued to the rest.

I hope to get the all three removeable roof panels sanded, sealed and painted before Xmas. Some kind of hatch-latch arrangement will be installed to hold them on board during 'fast cornering'!

While waiting for paint to dry, I hope to start on the wheelhouse interior 'furninshings'.

I won't get much done hanging around here though......stay safe!

George

gecon08/12/2020 17:26:57
461 forum posts
387 photos

Doing assorted 'dry run' assembling of cabin tops, masts and other parts. Quite time consuming but, necessary in order to get all the bits adjusted before painting and further assembly. Again, lack of experience reduces efficiency considerably. Masts have to unstepped each time as the yacht does not 'live' out in the hallway any more but in a store room where there is not sufficient height under the shelving to have the masts stepped! This will be remedied later on in the build when the rigging MUST be able to stay in place after the triatic back-stay is tensioned. New plan for the shelving is sent in to the Admiralty buildings dep't for approval.

George20201208_173818.jpg

gecon17/12/2020 07:41:48
461 forum posts
387 photos

20201216_224654.jpg20201216_143943.jpgBeen painting a lot of white recenting and getting slightly 'snow-blind' so decided to have a go at the wheelhouse interior for a change of colour.

This is my first attempt at making 'dolls-house funiture' so some of the upholstry needs re-doing. The material is left-over microfibre curtaining... it's a bit thick at the corners where folded over -a bit like the builder actually.

I'll re-do it later if it's too obvious when the wheelhouse is complete. I will probably not be able to live with for long but want to play with the small details a bit first. There'll be a radar, VHF, GPS and more so that may distract the eye from the poor upholstry work.

George

Edited By gecon on 17/12/2020 07:46:28

gecon17/12/2020 15:06:46
461 forum posts
387 photos

I've had plenty of time for building / assembling these last two days. New photos of wheelhouse detail progress. The chap at the helm is the watchman's son
20201217_143049.jpg20201217_143306.jpg ie wrong scale for the boat. He is standing on a 'footstool' (there's probably a nautical name for this but don't know it) so he can see over the bow. We actually had a footstool on the full size Fisher....so we could see over the bow!.

It'll soon be time to get back to the white paint and I won't send a photo of that until the parts are in situ'....promiss.

George

Ray Wood 217/12/2020 15:55:10
2418 forum posts
849 photos

Hi George.

That is a very well kitted out wheelhouse but as you had the real thing you know where everything goes

Keep up the good work.

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows17/12/2020 22:06:21
985 forum posts
643 photos

Looking really good George. It's the details that really make the difference.

Chris

Samule kracj18/12/2020 22:07:49
7 forum posts

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could get the plans for this boat? I have looked everywhere and I cannot find it.

Thanks!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor