Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fisher 34 motorsailer

R/C near scale yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon01/09/2020 21:14:51
497 forum posts
422 photos

Two 'turrets' produced this evening for the genoa sheet winches. These will be mostly embedded into the cockpit combing......when I work out how to produce the combing!

gecon20200901_190546.jpg

gecon11/09/2020 06:58:21
497 forum posts
422 photos

20200911_073102.jpg20200911_073110.jpgHad som problems deciding how to make the combings on the capping rail around the aft quarters. Latest attempt suggests that they will be shaped from 10mm balsa. Thought I was going to construct built-up combings from 1mm/1.5mm aircraft ply but this provd to be too much for my brain and too fiddly for my fingures. Balsa is a little on the 'absorbant side' for my liking so I'll have to seal it well. 1 mm ply will be used for inside cockpit sidwalls.

Managed to produce some 'varnished teak' slattet cockpit seating -which is also a prominent feature of this type of motorsailer.

Anyway, will post photos of the latest 'offering' - and final choice of construction method. It'll be a while before it's all sealed, painted and glued in place though.

I've not yet given up on acheiving a gloss -ish hull finish so I'll post a few thoughts about that in that particular thread.....if I can find it again.

gecon

Edited By gecon on 11/09/2020 07:01:49

gecon24/09/2020 17:33:53
497 forum posts
422 photos

Photo here looks like we're going backwards in the build, but the combings are shown here epoxied to the capping rails -so there's no going back now. Need some filler or putty in the joints. The curvy side panels have now been shaped and are in the paint shop for sanding sealer and undercoat application. The aft frames have been attacked by Needhams much feared Ray gun -or was it Colin's pivot gun from the Gannet? (Learned some new words today!) Not to worry, it'll reduce the displacement.

George

20200924_165701.jpg

gecon01/10/2020 11:10:39
497 forum posts
422 photos

20201001_115151.jpgSlow progress recently. The cockpit will soon be ready for a final sanding, undercoat and topcoat. Placed a few acessories into the lockers and loose fitted the slatted seating to give myself inspiration.

Hope to proceed to wheelhouse construction on monday. This will also take ages to complete.20201001_114249.jpg

gecon04/10/2020 16:50:28
497 forum posts
422 photos

Applied one coat of gloss to the cockpit saturday. Starting on the wheelhouse aft bulkhead. Have to cut out the sliding door and openings for windows. Don¨t know how to make 'aluminium' frames/surrounds for the windows yet. May have to be obeche -or plasticard. Pobably a couple of weeks++ before there's a operational sliding door here!

George

20201004_163541.jpg

Ray Wood 204/10/2020 17:29:17
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi George,

I have had moderate success with thin card window frames wrapped with foil, White Marlin are chrome and shine, but if you used the reverse side of baking foil the dull side may look like brushed aluminium ?

Cockpit of your Fisher looks great 👍 and I found that PBO article 😀

Regards Raywm dec 18.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 04/10/2020 17:30:34

Colin Bishop04/10/2020 18:39:05
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

You can buy silver styrene plastcard sheet.. Alternatively make the frames and then use a liquid chrome marker pen, Molotow are the best. However to preserve the lustre it does take about a week to cure properly. But having said that, a slightly dulled down finish might look better.

There are also some good acrylic aluminium model paints available. Tamiya comes in gloss and matt versions.

Colin

gecon04/10/2020 22:11:50
497 forum posts
422 photos

Thanks Ray and Colin, looked at alu' foil in the kitchen yesteray but didn't think I could make a good job with that. Also tried to find silver plasticard on the web without success. May have to resort to my 'long cure' bright silver paint from Testors and make frames in painted obechi strip.

Thanks for info....working on the case. Also for tidying my postings!

Ray, PBO article wiil be received with thanks.

Regards, George

Colin Bishop04/10/2020 22:31:47
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

Prices vary a bit.

Cornwall Model Boats:

**LINK**

Hobbycraft::

**LINK**

Ebay:

**LINK**

Colin

gecon05/10/2020 07:14:51
497 forum posts
422 photos

Many thanks Colin,

I have ordered stacks of stuff from CMB since I started the Fisher so I'll order from them. I did in fact browse their webshop on saturday but did not find the mirror silver. Was not looking forward to sealing+sanding painting 9 narrow window frames! I will be using ready made CAP Maquettes frames on the cabin sides but the wheelhouse needs the more 'flush' variety.

Thanks again, George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor