Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fisher 34 motorsailer

R/C near scale yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon07/08/2020 15:33:10
187 forum posts
185 photos

20200807_161340.jpg20200807_160645.jpgWell, not much new....but a 'new look'. Looking like a Greek fishing boat with this masking tape on it. Should be a bottle of Ouzo on deck but the clutter of rubbing strakes and side cappings make it a bit cramped for a party.

Ship's wheel been dunked in teak stain today due to the hull paint shop being closed. The brass rim is to be applied during the weekend.

Wish all a pleasant, safe, weekend,

George

Edited By George Edward Connery on 07/08/2020 15:37:52

Edited By George Edward Connery on 07/08/2020 15:39:43

gecon10/08/2020 23:03:28
187 forum posts
185 photos

20200809_205520.jpgShips wheel received an allmost-round brass ring and the whole lot dunked in Owatrol D2 varnish and drip-dried.

20200810_193120.jpgHull topsides now silky-gloss after a lot of effort plus helpfull suggestions from a forum member who uses a hull as a shaving morror.

Some mahogany and varnish will appear eventually in the form of capping rail, bulwark cladding and rubbing strake.

gecon

gecon11/08/2020 23:00:30
187 forum posts
185 photos

Last bit of masking tape removed today and boot top stripes added. They weren't very sticky so hope the tape will stay on the hull....allways the optimist!20200811_233706.jpg

gecon

gecon12/08/2020 18:35:05
187 forum posts
185 photos

Side cladding added today.

gecon20200812_185654.jpg

gecon13/08/2020 16:23:07
187 forum posts
185 photos

Rubbing strakes added today. Quite tricky -for me at least- to bend them to suit the hull curves. Photos not in album yet.

gecon

gecon16/08/2020 08:41:00
187 forum posts
185 photos

Weekend activities:

Doing quite a bit a 'head-scratching' in the scratch build dept. recently. Previously painted brass portholes don't seem to want to have humbrol enamel sticking to them. Must admit that I didn't think to sand/degrease them before paintingblush. Anyway didn't really like the look of the Humbrol aluminium (56?) paint. It seemed a shame in the first place to paint over that lovley brass but the 1:1 Fisher did not have brass ports. Maybe the 1:12 will?

Need also to make simulated bolt heads for the porthole surrond. Used pinheads but not sure if they'll survive the scrutiny of the 'paintshop inspection' team either. May now have to use heads of brass planking pins or just blobs of brass/gold paint?

Varnishing of mahogany bits is coming along OK but one of the rubbing strakes came away from the hull at the aft end (with some layers of paint attached). Zap-A-Gap put it all back (including paint!) but under some bending stress, so we'll see how that fairs in time.

Might need a break soon to avoid being tempted to make quick-fix solutions.

A bit foggy here this morning but if it lifts by noon one of the grandchildren (24 years old!) is going to film the Comtesse from his Mavic drone.

George

Ray Wood 216/08/2020 10:58:11
1985 forum posts
709 photos

Hi George,

Rivets round the portholes I'd use pva applied with a cocktail stick, looks pretty good when painted 👍

I used this method on 1/6th scale Hawker Hurricane wings must have been thousands of them 😀

Regards Ray

gecon16/08/2020 15:46:57
187 forum posts
185 photos

Hi Ray,

Many thanks, I was considering blobs of 5 min Araldite but PVA will be much easier -and cheaper. Can you mix gold or brass acrylic paint with the PVA do you think?

Regards, George.

gecon17/08/2020 07:09:10
187 forum posts
185 photos

Tried the PVA solution (ah, sorry!) but I can't make that resemble the bolts used to secure portholes. I see though that respectable 'rivets' can be made with PVA blobs.

I'll get back to the drawing board and work on my pinheads I think. Or maybe just fill the holes around the porthole flange with paint and hope nobody notices.

Here is a photo of the pinhead jobs -the many of pins loosened when I cut the legs off and I could not cut them off close enough to the underside of the flange. I'll maybe try again and cut before glueing. Pity I didn't do just one for a test. Now I have 6 ports to do the rehab' on. Off to raid the Admiralty sewing-20200811_232028.jpgsupplies dept.

George

gecon20/08/2020 18:36:45
187 forum posts
185 photos

20200820_165936.jpg20200820_170145.jpgProgress report:

Mounted the rudder yesterday, though I have not yet sealed the hole around the rudder tube. Do that with epoxy resin I think. It has to be carefully poured in around the outside of the top section of the rudder tube which needs to be sealed off below -where it exits at the top of the rudder.

Also had a go at setting up my first ever sailwinch control run. Decided to try a spring tensioned 'endless loop' on the winch drum Though it's not really 'endless'; the ends are fastened to the two anchor-holes in the grooves on the drum. After a bit of tensioning of the spring and servo travel adjustment it seemed to be OK. Will be fitting a brass guide tube to lead the sheet up through the deck and wheelhouse to the end of the main boom....I think.

Never done any of this before but I think I have the theory right so I'll just have to try it out and see. The main boom sheet is the easy one, next is the two servos for genoa control. Will try to add photos soon.

George

Edited By gecon on 20/08/2020 18:48:10

Edited By gecon on 20/08/2020 18:48:44

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor