Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fisher 34 motorsailer

R/C near scale yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon02/07/2020 15:52:33
187 forum posts
185 photos

Just for info (most forum members probably knew this years ago / I'm usually the last to know ) after 3 hours sanding and 2 hours tidying up all the dust I can say that I don't recommend using epoxy primer unless you know that you absolutely must use it. Of course, it's supposed to be used outside / at the boatyard not inside on the balcony, irrespective, I'm finished with that particular product for a good while. I must give credit though, it filled most of the potholes in the hull quite well!

A final sanding with finer grit will take place this evening or tomorrow OUTSIDE and away from people/houses/cars et. al.

I'm really looking forward to getting the Fisher hull painted and turned right way up again so I can start work on the cabintop and wheelhouse. The rest of you will be looking forward to me being finished with whole the project so that I stop ranting on. Talking/writing to oneself helps greatly with the quarantine-blues I notice.

George

Ray Wood 202/07/2020 16:32:30
1985 forum posts
709 photos

Hi George,

We all love talking to ourselves via this forum, it's some sort of weird therapy, the whole social media thing helps if you don't want to or can't talk to real people 😀 I'm sure no one is listening so no harm done 😉

Have you tried attaching you photos to you posts ?? I've looked in your album the Fisher is a super project 👍

Regards Ray

gecon03/07/2020 08:19:21
187 forum posts
185 photos

Good morning Ray and thank you for your kind words regarding the Fisher.

My first posts (last year) included a few photos of the F34 during laserbeam-line-up of the frames. I got the impression -after a few days or so of seeing what other members do- that the 'tidy' way to postings was to write text in posts and submit photos to Album so that those few who wanted a photo could have a look. This way the post was not 'cluttered' with photos 'no-one' wanted to see anyway. I felt it was using up space on the Forum side. Of course it's only space 'in cyber-space' and not on paper! So it probably doesn't really matter.

I hope to post a photo next week of the F34 hull painted white and with mahogany side cladding in place. I may just risk an uncontrolled outburst and attatch a photo here!

Have a good weekend,

George

Edited By George Edward Connery on 03/07/2020 08:41:06

gecon11/07/2020 16:41:25
187 forum posts
185 photos

A bit behind schedule as usual but the first coat of gloss white has at last been applied, Was out yesterday and bought three of the most expensive paintbrusshes ever! About £15 each. I think I will get a nice finish with these. The brush I used for undercoat last week was a cheap one and the surface looked like a ploughed field -of snow. Sanded off most of the undercoat each time (3) to try to get a smooth surface! I'm a slow learner, -or just too old to learn.... sorry.

George20200711_170528.jpg

gecon11/07/2020 16:41:25
187 forum posts
185 photos

Edited By George Edward Connery on 11/07/2020 16:45:11

Eddie Lancaster12/07/2020 09:25:33
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi.George, have you tried using wet and dry paper used wet? You just have a sludge that can be wiped off using a paper towel and a sponge.

Regards.

Eddie.

gecon12/07/2020 14:46:28
187 forum posts
185 photos

Not yet Eddie, but thought to use it after the next coat of gloss. The paint is enamel (Alkyd) and it is to dry 48 hours before next coat (without sanding). Looks reasonable now (but not flawless) after 1st coat of gloss.

Should I use the wet and dry (used wet) BEFORE the second coat do you think? Wet, 'wet and dry' between EACH coat maybe?

Which grit? I have 400, 800 and 1200 on hand. 1200 is almost 'polishing' I'd say.

I think a total of three coats will be enough. Or?

Regards,

George

Eddie Lancaster12/07/2020 19:53:12
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi.George, I can only tell you how I do it, after the hull is glassed and finished with finishing epoxy resin I take the humps off with 120 grit used wet, that is then followed with 240 grit, again used wet to get as close as I can to a complete matt finish, I then use high build primer filler from a rattle can misting it on with three coats to build up to a full coat, 90% of this is then sanded away with 240 grit, again used wet, any low spots showing at each stage is filled with Humbrol filler, a very fine quick drying filler applied with a craft knife this is again sanded down with 240 grit always used wet, I do this about three times, the final coat of primer filler is then rubbed down with 400 grit paper and a final coat of primer either red grey or white, depending on the final colour, is applied and rubbed down with 800 grit before the final gloss topcoat.
As you can see as soon as the wood is sealed all the sanding is done wet and I would use the same scheme if I was brush painting with enamel paints.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Eddie.

gecon12/07/2020 22:38:42
187 forum posts
185 photos

Many thanks Eddie, I'll put on my strongest (+3.5 ) reading glasses tomorrow and inspect the surface in good light! Probably have to wet sand the first gloss coat before proceeding. Then a coat or two more should suffice. Any small scrapes still visible will be called "quayside encounters" or "weathering"

Regards,

George

Eddie Lancaster13/07/2020 06:39:44
695 forum posts
526 photos

That sounds like a planlaugh.

Eddie.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor