Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fisher 34 motorsailer

R/C near scale yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon10/01/2021 14:29:41
497 forum posts
422 photos

20210110_141443.jpg20210110_141602.jpgAfter having been enlightened by Ashley, I got the urge to 'enlighten' the yacht. Installed nav-lights and cockpit work lights. A by-product was wheelhouse interior lights but these need to be subdued a bit. Maybe splash some red paint on the bulbs or thread over some red drinking straws....to simulate night-lights.

I had not originally planned for working lights so there's no stern light. It's too much agro now to try to get wiring to the aft pulpit.The two cockpit worklights could be fitted with 'blinkers' to give the correct 67.5* each side but only if the Admiralty puts in a complaint about the missing stern light.

We're being told to stay home as much as poss even here in south-west Norway, so that means I should have plenty of time at the 'shipyard' next week to get ready for stepping masts and rigging by next weekend. Not that there's any hurry, the local lakes are frozenface 1220210110_141555.jpg

George

Chris Fellows10/01/2021 16:21:13
991 forum posts
643 photos

Adding the lights was a good decision George. It really lifts the model, especially as you have interior detail.

Chris

Tim Rowe10/01/2021 16:22:32
570 forum posts
577 photos

It's come alive.

Very nice George

Tim R

gecon11/01/2021 05:26:25
497 forum posts
422 photos

I see from the photos that some light is 'leaking out' through the joins!blush I think I used 15-min. epoxy there so have to apply something to the inside of the join. Maybe some 'teak' woodwork will do the trick.

George

Dave Harrison11/01/2021 19:41:16
29 forum posts
23 photos

George the lights look fantastic, are they LED's or grain of wheat bulbs ?

gecon12/01/2021 08:15:26
497 forum posts
422 photos

Hello Dave, as usual, I don't often have short answers to questions.....but I'm working on that deficiency!

They are LED...and I thought they were called 'grain-of -wheat bulbs' due to shape and size. I did not plan on having working nav-lights. Too fiddly I thought. BUT...when digging out the Christmas decorations in early December, I found a packet of battery operated lights! These are designed to drape over some indoor plant or feature which you want to 'brighten up for Xmas'. 20 small bulbs-in a-row on 95cm of thin wire, a battery box for 3xAA batts.

I noted that I could maybe thread them through the Fisher wheelhouse to jazz it up a bit. Maybe I would be allowed to have the yacht on display on the sittingroom sideboard for a few hours in the evening -so long as it was gone on the morning tide.

The battery box is beneath the stbd bench seat. The wired-on-lights are then routed up to the stbd nav-light, then to the aft stbd cockpit light, then over to the port cockpit light etc, then down under the pt cupboard, helmsman's seat and instrument consol. Bulbs which are not inside light-lenses are either painted over red to reduce the glare (done last night) or routed through red mailkshake straws to produce a slight red floor-level 'night-light' effect.

It's a bit Heath-Robinson but I'm so positively surprised, that I am already looking for 'propper' lighting to build in to my next boat, a Billing Colin Archer, 1/15 scale.

I'm not sure if all those LEDs will effect the R/C gear but I don't intend to sail at night so the lights will not be 'on' at the same time as the R/C gear. There is however a good bit of wire in a ring across the whole wheelhouse! It's easy to remove the whole lot if it gives problems. It' a nice 'party-peice' for the time being.

As usual, a long-winded answer, sorry,

George

gecon14/01/2021 08:19:11
497 forum posts
422 photos

Good to note that the lights are accepted by the learned. I was sure that at least Chris would like them -being fair(e)y lights. But now they're Fisher lights!

I've located & ordered som 'propper' ones. from CMB, marketed by Krick. " 2 whites, one green, one red in a set. These will go into the already started Colin Archer RS1. Must re-check that order to see if they're 'in stock' or 'awaiting delivery'.

The xmas fairy lights are marked 'indoor use only'sad so not sure just how long they will live. They could be however, a simple, cheap way to achieve illumimation of the entire interiør of a liner - ferry- Ray? Red/orange acrylic on them gives a nice subdued hue. I have seen some dedicated interior 'liner' lights somewhere, but not sure where. Others will have found this out years ago I suppose.

Mast stepping session starts at the weekend. Preferably prior to the Bristol Cream.

George

Edited By gecon on 14/01/2021 08:19:30

Edited By gecon on 14/01/2021 08:22:11

Ray Wood 214/01/2021 08:51:33
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi George,

I like to keep things as simple as possible, no night sailing for me, no lights required, my Oldenburg is what I call stand off scale so no window openings, just black Fablon cut out and stuck on

Good luck with the mast stepping , are you using stainless plastic coated fishing trace for the standing rigging ? I think it's brilliant stuff no danger of it stretching..

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows14/01/2021 12:06:15
991 forum posts
643 photos

Very droll George! I'll see if my wife will make me some cakes later! laugh

Chris

gecon14/01/2021 15:53:15
497 forum posts
422 photos

Yummy, my favourite! I was going to say something silly about fruit cakes but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and move over to Ray's rigging....

The rigging wire was bought from CMB in late 2019 -Cap Maquettes. Can't remember if it's plastic coated. I'll report on that when I start the job. Hope it's strong enough. Buisy glueing on 'Treadmaster' anti slip this afternoon.

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor