Recycling

Old battery drills

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 206/05/2020 17:11:14
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Hi All,

Having a tidy up day, decided to scrap a few cheap time expired drills as the batteries usually give up and not worth replacing.

I think we have the makings of another boat power unit & speed controller 😃

Maybe a major waste of time !! But it also has a wicked gearbox which would be good for a big tug 😯

Regards Ray img_20200506_165650.jpg

Dave Milbourn06/05/2020 17:45:22
4002 forum posts
282 photos

Ray

Do check the current draw before you start making any plans for using them.

Dave M

Ray Wood 206/05/2020 18:02:37
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Thanks Dave,

You know I don't do technical stuff, it used to drill holes for quite a while 😃 so I will keep my fingers crossed, was rather hoping I'd got a cheap speed controller? Only one direction....

Regards (cheap & nasty) Ray

Dave Milbourn06/05/2020 19:22:01
4002 forum posts
282 photos

Ray

Yep - too slow for propulsion except maybe for stern-wheelers, and One Direction was a boy-band, wasn't it?

Dave M

Ray Wood 206/05/2020 19:30:00
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Dave,

Yes they were/are?? I don't know any of their tunes though

Well the gearbox is history now, but full of 6 really useful pinion gears, they maybe used on a winch for one of my barges

Regards Ray

ashley needham06/05/2020 19:33:57
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Its always tempting , dismantling an old cordless tool to liberate all those tasty gears and motor.

Chuck it all away!! The gears will never be used and the motor will never be suitable for a boat!

I have a carry case with loads of motors in. I should really bin them all...but, they might come in handy...

Ashley

Eddie Lancaster06/05/2020 20:05:28
695 forum posts
526 photos

I find the only time that what ‘may come in useful one day’ is 3 days after you have thrown it away.

Eddie

Kip Woods06/05/2020 22:24:01
265 forum posts
35 photos

Don't you listen to all these 'nay sayers' Ray wink, I built a drum winch for my marblehead out of a cut down Bosch Ixo. On 4.8v, it lifted a 2lb bag of suger off the floor, sorted out my yacht until I got a proper winch for it. smiley

harry smith 107/05/2020 02:16:22
1037 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi Lads

My mate replaced the batteries in two of has drills with small Lipo ones from Hobbyking .

Only 1.3 Amp per hour, but, he has used it for 3 months so far and still the low voltage alarm has not gone off !!!

Harry Smith

Ray Wood 207/05/2020 07:29:44
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Thanks chaps,

Waste not want not, and all that 😀 technical question, what does the grey metal maybe zinc wrapper do ??

Yes I know we all have a box of old motors under the bench ✔

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor